Dog Chews for teeth

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Dog Chews for teeth

Post by janrobinson »

Have any of you had trouble with the white dog chews that are like hide that are for teeth cleaning. Well I bought some thinking my two oldies would like them.

One who is quite ladylike chewed hers nicely the other who is like a bull at a gate and has to eat everything at top speed chewed for a while and then tried to eat it whole. Luckily I was there and watching all the time becaus she started choking and it was stuck at the back of her throat and to the roof of her mouth. Got it out with a bit of a tussle.

I think the moral of that story is do not leave your dogs to eat anything alone. Frightened me a bit.

Jan.
CarolynM
Senior User
Senior User

Post by CarolynM »

We have had something similar with Anna our elderly black lab who got one wedged in the top of her mouth between her back teeth.

Ian fished it out wearing his bike gloves :D. Little madam wanted the offending item back to finish off!! :lol:
labres1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by labres1 »

Ah yes, I remember it now!

Putting fingers in Anna's mouth, especially when there is food about is somewhat like placing your head in the jaws of a 30ft alligator!

Thanks to the bike gloves - i still have all extremities attached!

It was almost as dangerous as sneaking Carolyns Next card out of her purse to stop her shopping!!
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Yes have had this, :) and yes have also had the experience of the hand down the back of the throat,now have to say I dont get them,have to admit you cant beat an old marrowbone I always used to buy them for Ben but now cant get them anywhere, it used to last for days and his teeth were always clean...
Eastonwolfs

Post by Eastonwolfs »

Have experienced this to but not had to remove anything and I don't ride a bike so I don't have the gloves (!) but the gagging, wretching and choking thing goes through me...I think Jans right never leave them with these when they are alone...too risky...

Re bones:
Chadwicks butchers in Standish (on the main road) do proper roasted beef bones for dogs.

The meat there is excellant quality (like meat use to be years ago before supermarkets were invented!).

Not sure if the bones are 50p or £1 each...not cheap but good stuff...and the shop is worth a visit...
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Thanks Susan re the bones, may take a look not too far for me..and get something nice for tea at the same time.. :)
Eastonwolfs

Post by Eastonwolfs »

If you go you will be tempted...the rump steak is lovely...

The bones are at the side of the sausages and bacon (to the right).

Just don't leave your car on their car park to go anywhere else in the town!
They are very funny about parking there for the shops customers only.