Not putting on weight - should I worry?

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

lulu's mum

Not putting on weight - should I worry?

Post by lulu's mum »

I hope you don't mind me asking for advice about a rescue golden who's not come from NWGRR? Jake came into our lives in March when I found him wandering around in the road outside our house. He did his 7 days and we then adopted him. He was very thin when we first got him - around 24 kg (about 53lb for people like me who can't get on with kilos), and he's quite a big dog. We've done our very best to build him up, feeding him on good quality complete puppy food, supplemented with fresh beef and chicken, rice, pasta etc. He's been us nearly 6 months and has only put on 2kg in that time. We took him to the vet tonight for a check-up, and we were really downcast to think he's still not anywhere near a sensible weight for a male golden. Our vet's view is that as he's elderly (age unknown but 10+, possibly 12), he may not put on a lot of weight. She says the good news is he isn't losing any more. He seems well otherwise, he eats quite healthily, his blood tests are clear, he's had a dental, and we're sure he's happy in his new home. I just wondered if expert golden people like you could give me the benefit of your experience of this kind of situation?

Sue
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

As your vet says if he isnt losing anymore then dont worry, if blood tests are coming back ok the that should rule out thyroid problem...as they get older it is always best to be under rather than over less weight on the joints he could have a high metobalism is he nuetered at all?
I would have thought though puppy food could be a little high in protein and not too good for elderly kidneys..have you tried a senior food that may be easier for him to digest...

All in all though I think he is very lucky to have you as his Mum, sounds a lovely diet to be on and if he is eating well and plodding around for his walks at his grand old age I dont think you can ask for much more... :)

I am sure others will be along later to give more advice...
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Hi lulu's mum

I agree with Hairydog an older dog does not need so much protein for its body to assimilate. He has put on 2 kg so that is wonderful and as you don't quite know how old he is it could be just because he is an old dog.

How often are you feeding him ?? 3 small meals a day would be right for an older dog much better in fact than a 1 large dollop. Easier to digest. Although I would never recommend feeding a dog only once a day always twice in any case. Don't worry too much, if he is happy and healthy as the vets say he is then just enjoy his company.
lulu's mum

Post by lulu's mum »

Thanks so much for the advice hairydog and Jan. I'll certainly switch over from puppy food to senior, which we have anyway for our other oldies. It's just that we heard puppy food would help to build up Jake's weight more quickly. We feed Jake 3 or 4 times a day. Some days he's really hungry, other days less so, but it's always at least 3 times. He's not been neutered, and really he's too old for this op now.

I'm going to try to stop worrying about him, because he really does seem so much better in health than when he first came to us. He was badly affected by arthritis, which is much better now that he's on Metacam, and his skin problems have also cleared up. All in all, he's in pretty good shape for an elderly boy, and the nicest-natured dog you could hope to meet. :)
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

pleased to hear you are going to stop worrying. I think just talking it over with others sometimes puts your mind at rest. You are doing the right things small meals often and changing the food. You can't do any more and he is having a lovely life with you and he is happy. It may be that he is a thin dog anyway. Some people are like that no matter what they eat they are thin. ( I wish I was one of them ) However if he has been starved all his life his stomach will have shrunk and can't handle a lot.

A lifetimes neglect can not be put right in a few months you are doing all the right things. Keep us up to date with his progress. Perhaps a picture in time.

On the subject of neutering, I had a 13 year old male in March and he had a massive testicular cancer the size of a grapefruit Solid and so hot. He was so uncomfortable he couldn't even sit down He is such a lovely dog and he has been castrated and never batted an eyelid.
lulu's mum

Post by lulu's mum »

Thanks again for your help, Jan. We spoke to our vet about doing a dental and neutering when we first got Jake, but she felt it wasn't a good idea to put him under anaesthetic at that stage. In fact, a month or so back one of his teeth became infected and he became quite poorly. So he had his dental, and everything went very well. I'll talk to our vet again about castrating him, now that he's obviously a bit stronger. All I want is for Jake to have a good long happy retirement with us, after whatever troubles he's gone through in his life.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Hi Lulu Mum, just a word of warning for Metacam this can upset some dogs stomachs,have you tried a more natural alternative to his arthritis, perhaps glucosamine, omega 3 oil, cartrophen injections, once any inflammation has settled down I would look at this, ask your vet to advise.Vets are so often keen to just give out pain killers etc, they forget what other alternatives there are around today.

I only say this as have had a first hand the problems metacam can give, my old Labx Ben was on this for only 10 days he then started vomiting blood and our vet got him off it asap.He then went onto have Cartrophen injections and this suited him much better...of couse some dogs thrive on Metacam but it is just to be sure of some drugs side effects.....
HTH :)
labres1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by labres1 »

Anna had injections for her arthritis - she is really bad but at 15 she's entitled to be - there isnt anything that can be done but they did seem to make her much more comfortable...

We also use vetzyme high strength flexible joint tablets which seem to help her as well
lulu's mum

Post by lulu's mum »

I've heard there could be nasty side-effects from Metacam, and I'd much rather Jake wasn't on it permanently. On the plus side, the Metacam's very effective. He was in a lot of pain when we first got him. His back legs were so stiff he could hardly walk sometimes, and if he was lying down he sometimes just couldn't get up at all on his own. The Metacam worked like a miracle - he moves freely, he trots about happily on his walks, and he's obviously quite comfortable. Our vet's said he should stay on Metacam, because it's clearly working and there've been no side-effects that we can see. But I think it would make sense to take him off Metacam for a time now, and see if the problem's still as bad or if things have settled down. I'll talk to the vet about it the next time we go. I haven't been using any herbal supplements up to now, but thank you for the suggestions. :)
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

hi Lulu's Mum

You can reduce the dose of the Metacam I wouldn't stop it altogether suddenly. Some dogs need it during the winter months and then not at all in the summer. See how he goes on a less dose and perhaps introduce something herbal as well. You can always up the dose again if he isn't doing as well.

I suppose Matacam could be like our anti inflammatory drugs which can effect stomach linings.
lulu's mum

Post by lulu's mum »

Thank you again for the advice, Jan. I'll try this and see how we get on. :)
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Lulu Mum
Jan is right dont stop it all together Metacam is a NSAID or Non Steriod Anti Inflammatary drug it can upset some sensitive stomachs and as mentioned before not ALL dogs, have a chat with your vet they may be able to help...
lulu's mum

Post by lulu's mum »

Just wanted to let you know Jake's suddenly started to blossom in the past week or two. I don't know how much he weighs at the moment because we haven't been to the vets with him for a while, but it's obvious he's put some weight on and his coat's looking great. Yesterday when we were out on our daily walk in our local nature reserve, Jake ran ahead (he likes to be the scout up front) and he bumped into a dogwalking acquaintance we see quite regularly. When I showed up, the chap said he didn't realise this dog was Jake. Best compliment he could have paid me!

I'm also gradually reducing Jake's Metacam dose and he's doing fine.

Thanks so much for your advice, and I'm very glad I stopped worrying! :)
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Great news.Maybe a picture next time of the special boy.. :)
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

so pleased to hear Jake is now responding to everything you are doing. You must feel a great sense of achievement. Well done. Hope we have helped in some small way.