My story about Oscar, Dudley, Oliver, Gillie & Poppy.

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

gilliedew

Re: My story about Oscar, Dudley, Oliver, Gillie & Poppy.

Post by gilliedew »

Just a little update on our Girls

Settling in well, tentative together at first, more because they are uncertain of each other but no spats and I look outside, more often than not, they are laying only a few inches apart. Bless.

Phoebe doesnt mind us going to the shops but if it is any longer we find scattered cushions and a scratched door. We hope this will cease after a time, when she is reassured we will be coming back.

But she is the dearest little girl with so much love to give us, she makes us laugh she is so keen to do everything at double pace and will play catch for hours until we beg for mercy.

When I remember to get batteries for the camera I will post some more pics.

Saw a funny sticker on one of those Golden Retriever gift websites today, it read, "Your car would also look like this if you owned a Golden Retriever" I am sure we all know exactly what it meant. :1968
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Glad to hear Phoebe has settled in well, when we first got Snowy, coming home was filled with a bit of trepidation, what had he chewed up, what had he trashed, he seemed to find something, even if we had tried to put everything out of reach. Now two years on most times are ok, just like Phoebe the scatter cushions, are the main target but they are only scatterd round the house(that's why there called scatter cushions) I suppose, an odd item of clothing is on the floor as well , mainly if he can get into the washing machine. so two years down the line you will probably be fine. But you may need a new door by then. :1963
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

So lovely to hear about your two girls. I am really pleased they are getting on well together. Hope Phoebe gets out of scattering cushions soon.
:love4
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Pleased to hear that F.E.E. is settling well, and that they are getting on together.
Hope the scattering soon stops, although if she doesn't rag them, it keeps her occupied !!
On the subject of the door, have you thought about placing a strip of the clear plastic that you can get from the D.I.Y shop down the area that she scratches? We only resorted to that once, and it did the trick.
:love4
suerich

Post by suerich »

My goldies were always fine about being left and never chewed, but cushions were always either stiff and hard after drying, or sticky and covered in saliva when we came downstairs in the morning. My first one, Kaza, hated getting his face wet, (although of course he loved the water), so each night before we turned in, I placed empty plastic beakers along the sofa and on each chair! Of course he didn't know they were empty and this worked for several weeks, but the temptation must have been too great for him because when we came down one morning, he was fast asleep on his furry rug, along with 4 cushions, with the beakers laying on their sides on the sofa. :love2
gilliedew

Post by gilliedew »

Just been to do a supermarket shop and no cushions scattered today, just a few paint scrapings from the door again.

Thanks for the idea Lynn, the only problem there is it is the door frame getting scratched as well. I am hoping it will become less and less and I have one of those little pots of touch up paint, which I will use once she knows we are always coming back to her.

She is becoming a right waterbabe and throws herself into the water now as she has got used to swimming with Poppy. A great pleasure watching her becoming more and more confident with every outing.

It is great fun at the moment.
gilliedew

Post by gilliedew »

Just an update about Phoebe.

Well she has settled and makes herself quite at home

We are quite amazed how sharp she is, something we havent had with our other dogs, she doesnt miss a catch either, biscuits or ball, runs like the wind, hurls herself into the water channel, eats everything and is in fact a proper little darling.

She cuddles into our laps at any opportunity, is up for any activity, just lovely.

The minuses are very few, she shouts at anything or any dog she doesnt know around her patch, still scatters cushions when we are out and if we dont catch her will climb onto the couch to shout at passers by through the window.

She has had a chicken carcass out of the fridge, which hold my hands up was my fault as I hadnt shut the door properly and whats a girl to do when a cooked chicken is in her sights. I found the clingfilm on the lawn but secretly did a giggle and verbally smacked myself for letting it happen.

We are enjoying her immensley after our sad period and it is very different for us and we are loving every minute.

Thanks again Jan

Jill and the girls :1999:
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Lovely to hear all your good news of Phoebe & Poppy. :love4