Message for Jan

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

sammingtonsmythes

Message for Jan

Post by sammingtonsmythes »

Hi Everyone :love4
So glad we haven't had it as hot as down south.Gave Ellie a big trim today took ages hacking away.She stood there so patiently bless her totally trusting me.Little did she know!
I could tell straight away she was much more comfortable and even looks much younger than 12 now.More like a lamb less like an old sheep.
All week my Husband has been hiding treats in the boot of the car so Monty can go searching.We decided to try him again in the boot today Jan without Ellie this time.Managed to close the boot ok so we had a really nice walk somewhere different,which he really enjoyed.Unfortunately coming hime he had sussed us out and we had to haul him in which wasn't very pleasent for Monty or us.We are going to keep it up every day now in the hope that eventually he will accept that we arent taking him back to the rescue.Do you think we are going about it in the right way Jan?I know there is the back seat but Ellie's ramp has to go there(large and heavy) so in the long run he does need to get used to the boot.Its a 4x4 so plenty of room for both of them.Hope you and yours are well.Lots of love :love5 Diane & Andy,Ellie & Monty
xx
Ellie with her new hairdo please don't laugh i do my best!! :1967
MONTY BEING NOSY AS USUAL WATCHING THE COWS AND THEIR CALVES HE NEVER BARKS AT THEM!!
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Re: Message for Jan

Post by janrobinson »

Ellie does look younger with her new hairstyle and Monty looks very interested in the sheep.

I think you are doing alright about the car. He has to go with you and as he is O K when in the car and travels alright just do what you have to with the least amount of fuss or worry. :love5
sammingtonsmythes

Wow that was quick Jan thank you for your very valuable advice!
He's fine once in.Maybe he doesn't like confined spaces.He really does
trust us now so i think we will get there eventually.
We absolutely adore our little man Jan thank you so much once again my friend.
x
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Ellie looks lovely, you did a very nice job there. Sure she will feel better for having her "wool" removed. As for Monty, he's a proper star, so interested in what is going on around him. Both lovely. Pleased to hear that you are managing to get Monty in the car now, it will be a slow process, but a rewarding one. Now that he trusts you so much, it will come in time. Like Jan, I think you are doing it right, at his pace. Just shows how far you have brought him on. Well Done.
:thumbsup:
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

:2035: Hi Diane,
Ellie looks a treat, you've done well there. Love the photo's, Ellie's smile and Monty's expression, wonder what he's thinking! I would'nt worry too much about the car. Ella still has her moments when she refuses to get in. Many's the time that my husband has to get in the boot first :1967 On the way back....no problem :1944:
sammingtonsmythes

Thank you for your lovely comments and advice much appreciated :love4
Monty will always have issues with the car i think.In every other respect
he is a completely different boy to the poor frightened thing on the
day we took him in.We include him in everything ,like all my other friends
who have taken in lost souls,they become a part of the family don't they.
That's the way it should be.Alot of spoiling has never done any golden any
harm in my view.They return their love in bucket loads.
My best friend Jean has taken in a 2 year old Chocolate Lab .He is a complete sweetheart.He will be a fabulous play friend for Monty.Will give Ellie a bit of peace!
Although they are good friends of course Ellie doesn't want to race around at her age.
Here he is.
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Glad to hear everything progressing well ,things will take a while, but you will get there if you are patient, and don't fuss to much. Vidal sassoon will be jealous of your trimming skills.All the dogs look so happy and well cared for and of course loved very much. :1971
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

Lovely pictures, and you can come and trim my hair anytime!
I'm sure Monty will enter into the spirit of car-travel soon.
These things do take time.
When we had had Sam a few weeks, we went caravanning in Wales, we hit a big problem - he would not perform whilst on the lad, unless he had a patch of grass! We walked him miles along the roads, and dog's were not allowed to foul the camp site, so we had a problem. He went 24 hours and I was in despair and in tears!
So we found a field full of sheep and took a chance. We took him into the field, right in the corner and removed the lead - magic - he performed with no trouble, so several times each day, we looked around to make sure no-one was watching, and took him in the corner of the field, and he obliged every time!!!
It took time for him to realise he didn't have to go into a field, but I wondered if whoever had had him, wouldn't let him do anything in the garden, but put him in the car and took him to a nearby field. That is the only explanation I could come up with. Now he performs to order, wherever!!
I also had to get on the floor and persuade him to eat, would you believe! He growled at everyone who came in the house,
particularly men, and as I have said before, with a lot of male students, that WAS a problem, but now he loves them all and he loves them.
I am sure all will come right in time.
Best wishes to you all - Samsmum.
sammingtonsmythes

Thank you for your lovely encouragement.Went again tonight slightly better than last.
I really empathise with your initial problems with Sam.Maybe he didn't have a garden and lived in a flat?He was perhaps not wanting to mess the immediate area bless him.Must have been difficult in the dark!You feel so sorry for them don't you but they soon forget with lots of love as I know your Sam has it from yourself -and more.Our Sam was terrified of other dogs except Ellie of course.Going to the vets was a nightmare.We used to wait outside with Sam until other dogs had gone.He would just shout and carry one which was very embarassing and upset all the other animals.Even at a tiny puppy.
All the best to you and Sam
ps by the way Lenny- Vidal Sassoon is a bit old hat!!More like James Brown(he cuts Kate Moss's hair sorry! :2007:
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

Do you know, the fact that Sam may have lived in a flat never entered my head. That seems a very feasible explanation. Do hope your problem is resolved soon.
Samsmum.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Aren't they funny about going to the loo. All our previous dogs went on command, which was brilliant. Very few accidents. Willow when she came would "go" anywhere, now she will "spend a penny" like a good 'un. Woody on the other hand is slow to catch on, won't perform unless he goes for a walk, and a long one at that. The garden just won't do for a quick piddle unless he is desperate. I always open the door for them to go into the garden first thing whilst I have breakfast, no chance. Out or nothing. I think he must have been used to hanging on, which is taking some time to learn that he can use the garden. It bothers me at times to think he might be uncomfortable, but, he makes the choice.
Ooh, the joys of potty training :1960
lisa70

Post by lisa70 »

I have just been reading about the problem with the car and Monty we have the same problem with George and when we went to pick him up he jumped straight into it, but if he can get away with not going in it he will. He stands there trying to pretend he hasn't heard me telling him to get in they're funny at times and stubborn but he eventually gets in under protest and loves it when we arrive at wherever we're going he never cries or frets i just don't think he likes the movement of it. God bless them we still love them just the same though... :1971
gilliedew

Post by gilliedew »

This reminds me of a funny story about our Goldie called Gillie.

We got her when we went to see Olivers breeder, a lovely Geordie lady called Veronica who had his mother Gillie. She doesnt breed that often with her dogs and she felt it time that Gillie would not have any more pups.

Gillie immediately took to my husband and looked at him adoringly and of course, that was it, an easy push over and we became owners of Mother and son.

Gillie would wee on order and Veronica told us to say, Gillie go wee wee, Gillie go wee wee and she would go.

Well, my name is Jill, and my neighbours thought it hilarious when they heard my husband say that late at night in the garden. They thought it was me!!!!! :2026:
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

:1944: Somewhat embarassing
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Good one Jill.