Nasty experience for Sam!

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Samsmum

Nasty experience for Sam!

Post by Samsmum »

We have just come back from a long weekend caravanning in North Wales (beautiful weather Thursday, Friday, a little bit of drizzle Saturday, and nice again Sunday)
We went to an idyllic spot which we visited about a month ago, a few miles south of Caernarvon, a little place called Dinas Dinlle, about three miles from the main road. We went there originally to look for a different place to stay, but whilst this one was lovely, it is just too far from the main road. We don't like to sit around, we like to visit different places, and staying there, the cost of petrol would be huge if we were off exploring every day.
Anyway, on Friday, off we went to this place, and took a picnic as before. Sam went off to swim in the sea just yards away, and came out dripping blood from his bottom lip. We compressed it to get rid of the blood so we could see the damage, and he had quite a nasty flap hanging, and it bled and bled. And Sam licked and licked.
We dashed the 40 miles back to our caravan, and asked the farmer there could he recommend a vet, and her recommended the one he uses in Llandudno. We rang up and made an appointment for about an hour later, arrived there early, and were taken in immediately. The Vet was a young lady, who examined Sam's lip, and said, I don't think I need to stitch it - I will cut most of the flap off, and it should heal well. She told David to hold Sam's head firmly, said that there is not too much feeling in the bottom lip, and snipped a good 1/4 inch off the flap, and apart from a little tug backwards when the vet approached with a nasty looking little instrument, didn't bother. It bled a lot, being in a wet place, but has now healed well. The charge was £26.50 which was not bad really. The vet didn't think Sam needed an antibiotic jab, and he seems to be fine.
A friend just recently took her Golden to Abersoch, where her dog was stung by a jellyfish. The dog went into
Anapholyptic Shock (forgive the spelling please - I am not a medic!!) and apparently the dog was lucky to survive.
Something to keep an eye open for.
Hope all your dogs are in good fettle, and that you are all enjoying the Summer.
Best wishes to all - Samsmum.
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Re: Nasty experience for Sam!

Post by janrobinson »

Oooooo poor Sam That was a nasty experience. :2026: He was so brave to have that piece of skin cut off with no bother. What a good boy. There must have been something very sharp that he tried to pick up. People are so thoughtless about litter Not only our dogs suffer but the birds and wild animals come to grief.
sammingtonsmythes

Post by sammingtonsmythes »

So sorry about Sam's and yours nasty experience.What a brave boy though.
Give him a big hug from me :love4
superjazz

Post by superjazz »

Sorry to hear about poor old Sam, a nasty experience.
Hope he is now fully recovered.
I am told that Weaver fish, which have been quite prolific this Year can give dogs and humans a nasty sting.

P , S ,J & C
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Hello Joyce, so sorry to hear about Sams experience. Heck, it made me cringe, poor boy having to go through that. Hope he's on the mend.
L xx
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

Oh my goodness...Poor Sam, glad he is OK, never even thought about jellyfish on the beach just assumed that they were dead or died when they came into the 'cold' water of GB. What a brave lad having that done to him.

xx from Ginnie and Cobi
:love4 :love4
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

Thank you all so much for your concern and good wishes for Sam. His chin is healing well, although there have been a couple of weak spots that have bled. There is quite a deep cavity, but it seems to be filling up and skinning over well now.
One thing, it has not stopped him playing with his toys, and has not diminished his appetite - I haven't forgotten having to lie on the floor and persuade him to eat from his dish, he was so frightened when we got him. He's quite bold and confident now.
When we were on the camp site, we didn't close the caravan door, and didn't put him on a lead either. We put his food outside, and told him to have his breakfast or dinner in his dish - he went out and ate up and came straight back in again. He never moves away if we tell him to stay. The chickens kept paying us visits, but he sat at the door and watched them, as he did with people and other dogs passing.
He is very content to stay close, and it is a great relief to us that he doesn't wander.
Thanks again for your good wishes. Samsmum.
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

So glad to hear Sams on the mend, you must have been in a panic, especially not knowing where the nearest vet was. Give the brave sam a hug from us and Emily and Snowy, for being such a brave and well behaved dog. :love4
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

Thanks Lenny for your concern and good wishes. Sam really is a good lad, and we are very proud of him.
Best wishes to you all - Samsmum.
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

Poor Sam still has quite a sore patch on his bottom lip. He keeps catching it on toys etc., and with it being in a wet place, it is difficult for it to heal properly.
However, the deep indentation is now filling up, but I shall be glad when it finally heals properly.
He is very stoical and doesn't let it hamper him in any way, bless him, and he is just as patient and good as ever.