Ready to start again!

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

suerich

Ready to start again!

Post by suerich »

Hello all, I'm new as I've only just discovered the site and I must say it's brilliant and I wish I'd found it years ago!
I started with a golden 25 years ago and fell in love. My first dog Kaza, I had from a puppy but when I lost him at age 11, I thought I wouldn't have another because I missed him so much, but within a year I approached retriever rescue and soon brought home a wonderful little girl named Boo. She was around 2 years old and within 6 months I was back to retriever rescue for another. Sam was 4 years old and I was ecstatic! Sam and Boo immediately fell in love but Sam was so protective with my little girl, he was never settled unless the 4 of us were together and he could keep an eye on us all. He'd had a tough first 4yrs living in a kitchen and due to never being taken out, his bones were weak and a few years later he lost the use of 1 leg, but he managed happily. At 10yrs his other leg went and sadly he was unable to move. That was the worst time of my life but Boo lived till 15yrs and I am so thankful for that. 6yrs ago she left us and I think of them both daily, but I am only now deciding to start again. I live in Nottm and the retriever rescue I used before, at Hunters Lodge Southwell, doesn't appear to be there now, so I wondered if anyone knows how I go about adopting a goldie now? I have just turned 60 so I want to give a home to an older dog if possible as, heartbreaking as it is to lose them, I don't want to worry that I may leave before them. I don't mind travelling but I'm not sure if one can adopt ouside their own county. Thanking you in advance, Sue.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Ready to start again!

Post by lynn wise »

Sue,
Welcome to the site.
There is all the info' you need on our home page re: adoption.
Contact Jan on the number given.
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Hi Sue, so sorry to hear of your loss of Kaza and Boo, 15 years is a good age and she was obviously loved very much I do hope that you will get a new golden to share your life with. If you contact Jan ,The number is on the home page, Im sure if anyone can help it will be Jan, she is a very special person who has made so many goldens and families very happy. Good luck and please let us all know how you get on. :thumbleft
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

Hi Sue and welcome,

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your lovely companions.
Our first Golden we had from pup. Our lovely Ella we had from Rescue 5 and a half yrs ago when she was 3yrs old. At that time, I was a similar age to you. There are many "Golden Oldies" on here who have wonderful homes through Jan.

Wishing you the best of luck.
suerich

Post by suerich »

Thank you all! What a lovely site! I will stay here no matter where I get my new goldie and I will let you all know how I get on. Sue.
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

Welcome to the site Sue. So sorry to hear of your losses - it does take time when one loses a Golden, as they are such wonderful companions.
Do hope you get fixed up with another lovely companion very soon, and I am sure Jan will help all she can.
Best wishes and look forward to hearing how you get on.
Best wishes - Samsmum.
suerich

Post by suerich »

Hello again, I have found and been in touch with the Midlands retriever rescue and the lady there hasn't anything available at the mo, but she says she'll keep me posted when and if a goldie comes in. It seems that many people who no longer want their pets have started advertising them for sale on the internet and she doesn't get as many as she used to. I really don't understand how anyone can sell a member of their family! Anyway, I'm going to now phone Jan and see where I go from there but being outside your county, I'm not going to get my hopes up - Sue :2005:
suerich

Post by suerich »

Hi all, I've now got my name down with Jan as well as with the Midlands retriever rescue! None available anywhere yet but I can wait (although not too long I hope!) I've got that itchy feeling I had when one of my babies were due, longing to hold them in my arms! I thought it was a hormonal thing at the time but if I get it from longing for a goldie, I guess I was wrong! - Sue :love4
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

Hello Sue,
Do hope you soon have another Golden to lavish your love on - life will seem more complete again. It is good to know that another beautiful dog is going to have a forever home, and be happy again.
Good luck - Samsmum.