This may be a daft question but.....

As we all have dogs and may want to take them with us... have you any suggestions for holdiay destinations etc that are dog friendly and where you had a great time?

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

julie

This may be a daft question but.....

Post by julie »

We went on holiday to the Isle of Man this year whilst Honey holidayed at my Mum's House.

We are thinking of going back next year but this time taking Honey over in the car / ferry. Does anybody know if dogs are allowed on deck whilst sailing? I don't want to leave her on her own down in the car hold.

I'd love to hear about anybody's experience taking their Golden on the ferry - any problems or methods you have encountered.

thanks
Julie
CarolynM
Senior User
Senior User

Post by CarolynM »

I have just had a quick look on the internet and the ferries that sail out of Fleetwood allow the dogs to travel in the car on their "well ventilated car deck" but for an extra £5 (one way) can sit in a designated side lounge.

We had friends that took their terrier over to Ireland in the summer and they had him in a dog carrier on the deck (wasn't allowed but they got away with it). The only problem they had was that they overdosed him on treats to keep him amused on the journey and he had a poorly tummy for a couple of days when they got there.

Hope this helps
gordons mum and dad
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by gordons mum and dad »

Hi Julie

It is a while since we went to the Isle of Man, but at that time they did allow you to take your dog up on deck, although you counldn't go in certain areas. They also had a couple of cabins you could book that they allowed dogs to go in. They seemed pretty dog friendly.

The Irish Ferries and the Channel Island Ferries do not allow dogs on deck at all, but if you want to check your fluffy whilst the ship is sailing they ask a deck hand to take you down to the car deck, and they wait with you while you check on fluffy, they didn't rush us at all. We were more worried than our dog was!!

Hope this is of some help.

All the best for 2008.

love Carole