Derbyshire

As we all have dogs and may want to take them with us... have you any suggestions for holdiay destinations etc that are dog friendly and where you had a great time?

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Derbyshire

Post by lynn wise »

Can anyone reccomend a holiday cottage where we can take both dogs with us. Have a fancy to go to the Derbyshire Peak District.
Hel_Pen

Re: Derbyshire

Post by Hel_Pen »

Hello.

You could try dales holiday cottages, who do that area www.dales-holiday-cottages.com.

If a property only states one dog give them a call as some properties will allow two if you ask. I have never understood why people say one small well behaved dog. You either allow them or you don't. Some places even state that the dog can only stay in the hall!!! Sorry to rant a bit.

For most of my holidays I use cumbrian cottages www.cumbrian-cottages.co.uk. They do the lake district, Scotland, Northumberland and Wales.

I hope you find something.

Helen.
sammingtonsmythes

Post by sammingtonsmythes »

There is a fantastic place in Shropshire called Combermere Abbey that we have taken our two Goldens to.The old stable block has been converted into holiday cottages.We are going again to recover from our loss of Sam very soon with Ellie.It is very special and beautifully furnished and they welcome dogs with open arms and the people that work there are very friendly and helpful.There is plenty of woodland to walk in and a fabulous pub up the road called the Combermere Arms that allows dogs in.There is lovely restaurant quality food available in the stable block freezer to purchase.It isn't cheap but we don't go away for very long so its quality rather than quantity when we do.We found it virtually impossible to find anywhere to take two large dogs to.Have just ordered- Good Guide to Dog Friendly Pubs, Hotels and B and Bs" and Pets Come Too! 2009: Guide to Quality-assessed Pet-friendly Hotels, B&Bs and Self-catering Accommodation in England (Official Tourist Board Guide)" from Amazon will let you know what they are like.Some pictures of Combermere below.Please excuse my eagerness am a new member and very enthusiastic.Being able to speak to all you lovely people is helping me slowly overcome my grief at losing Sam.
SAMMY ON HOLIDAY WE WILL NEVER FORGET OUR PRECIOUS TIME WITH HIM
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

So sorry to hear about your sad loss, you must have so many happy memories, of your time together,He looked a very hapy and well loved dog. Hope Jan can fill the hole in your heart and life when you come back, Im sure you will never forget Sammy, they are all so different and so special. :love4
sammingtonsmythes

Thank you Lenny.It hurts so much at the moment he spent all day by my side
always trying to make me smile.You are right i have loved them all and will again.
Can't come to terms with him being only 7 though.They break and mend your heart
don't they
x
superjazz

Post by superjazz »

So sorry to hear about the loss of your Sammie, the picture shows a lovely dog . You never forget them. We have now had four Goldies our first "Jessie" died in 1994 . She is still in our thoughts.
I agree it is difficult to find holiday cottages that take two large dogs. We have though, found cottages in the North east and in Wales that accept them.
Our very best wishes.
P, S J & C.
sammingtonsmythes

Thank you so much for your best wishes.I don't think i will accept that Sammy has gone until i can take in another lost soul.He was only 7.It is hard at any age though as these beautiful creatures take a bit of our hearts with them don't they
my best wishes to you too
Diane & Ellie