URGENT - NORTHUMBERLAND COUNCIL BAN ON DOGS ON BEACHES

As we all have dogs and may want to take them with us... have you any suggestions for holdiay destinations etc that are dog friendly and where you had a great time?

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Hel_Pen

URGENT - NORTHUMBERLAND COUNCIL BAN ON DOGS ON BEACHES

Post by Hel_Pen »

Hello All.

l have been sent the email below regarding Northumberland Council proposing to ban dogs on beaches. Even if you have not been this could be the start of other councils doing the same so please write and confirm your objections.

Many thanks.

Helen.

This is to tell you that Northumberland County Council is proposing to ban all dogs from beaches.!!!!
They are carrying out a survey of people's opinions.Go to northumberland County Council website click on the new dog laws to find the proposals and the survey.Voice your objections now by 30th June...otherwise they will say no one objected.
Tell anyone else you know with dogs too!!!

Please object to this. It will ruin holidays for so many people and for those of us with dogs who live here. Our beaches have enough room for one and all.The council should be working harder to clean up our beaches. More bins are needed of all types and the seaweed should be removed inthe summer.
Disable access should be improved. It is the usual method of using a sledgehammer to crack a nut which is employed more and more by councils.
hairydog

Re: URGENT - NORTHUMBERLAND COUNCIL BAN ON DOGS ON BEACHES

Post by hairydog »

Oh No ...we went up to Northumbria last year and loved it the dogs loved their daily run on the local beach...I will definately be telling my dog friends who holiday up there...recently came back from a week in Suffolk, we were out walking our two one day and counted 8 poo bins on a local green and guess what ... not a dog poo in sight....so just goes to show you if you provide the facilities people will use them...
1Harvey

Post by 1Harvey »

It's a similar situation here in Cumbria - Copeland Borough Council are enforcing a ban next month... one of the few exceptions is sandy areas on beaches. Unfortunately it's the minority who are spoiling it for the rest of us. We often see dogs off leads, usually bull types and/or small nippy dogs who are very aggressive towards Harvey - it's great that they have to be leashed but an absolute shame for those of us whose dogs are well behaved and who respect the local areas!!

xx
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

This summer, one of our hols was in Cornwall again. The beaches there are no go areas in the main for us. Padstow is terrific, at low tide you can walk along the beach way out along the estuary to the ocean. The further along you go, the less people there are, manys the time there as been only us. A walk back along the headland towards town is a lovely hillside cafe where we always stop for a coffee, dogs welcome and water bowls out for them as well.
I actually took some photos of a beach area that had huge signs up, NO DOGS. It was full of all manner of human activitys. The usual sarny and pasty bags,bottles, disgarded toys, I really was fuming, so took photos which I intened sending to the local council.. GRRRRR. :2015:
One beach that we also go to regularly, is Southbay Filey. Another lovely walk along the shore for us all.Oh, and a nice coffee stop.