Guess what? It's Bentley's 7th birthday!

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

bentley
Senior User
Senior User

Guess what? It's Bentley's 7th birthday!

Post by bentley »

Mr B is seven! Gosh, it's only two minutes since he came to live with us.

Over the last couple of months he has been a very busy boy.

First, he got top marks in a heelwork to music progress test.

Then he entertained kids at a fundraising event in Brixham, delighting the crowds with his dancing. The organiser was told we would need a good half an hour for him to get used to the place, the noises, the smells and the bustle. As we arrived he walked past a 20 foot dinosaur breathing smoke and roaring...and he never turned a hair. The organiser saw us and said, "You're on! Now!" What? We haven't had two minutes never mind half an hour! :2029: Anyway, Mr B coped marvellously. The music was so loud he couldn't hear me so he never took his eyes off me. What a star! He got extra big treats for that one!

Then we were asked to perform for a group of autistic children. Oh, my word! He loved them and they loved him. One child said he'd never seen a magic dog before. One child who apparently never speaks or makes eye contact with anyone was chatting to me about him as he fed him treats. While this was going on I saw a young teen watching us from the back. I looked at her as if to say 'would you like to stroke him' and she nodded and came forward. The organiser's chin hit the floor! :2026:

This girl has daily counselling but has never really communicated with anyone. She sat with Bentley and I for a good few minutes gently stroking him and giving him treats while we talked about how he learnt to dance. He just sat quietly with her and leaned in to her. It really made me very emotional to watch them.

Then we came back to Lancs for a few days to visit family.

That was followed by a full day's training session with a brilliant trainer called Gina Pink who teaches heelwork to music. We'll never make it to Cruft's, nor would we want to, but we both really enjoy the training and the performing, Mr B is a proper show off! :1968 We are getting quite well known down on the beach and on the leisure centre car park where we train at night.

It's always his choice to train or not. When we get to the abbey gates he can turn left or right. If he turns left, he's heading to the car park for playtime training. If he goes right I know he isn't fussed so we just continue with the walk. If I go right he looks at me disgusted and stays rooted to the spot until I head for the car park!

His epilepsy is still under control. He is still having about one fit a month. Always in the middle of the night.

Now we are having a quiet couple of weeks before Christmas gets into full swing and the family all come to stay.

Here's a link to his birthday present video. https://youtu.be/6TwweJXmo1U
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Re: Guess what? It's Bentley's 7th birthday!

Post by janrobinson »

Wow Bentley has been busy as have you. It is just wonderful what these dogs can do for children & old people who have not good means of communicating.or have withdrawn into themselves. He is a star.
:2808: :2361: Belated birthday wishes :love4
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Guess what? It's Bentley's 7th birthday!

Post by lynn wise »

:2809: Happy Birthday Bentley.
What a lovely story Lesley, but we always knew he was a special lad.