Lead Training

Tips, advice and discussion on training related matters

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

julie

Lead Training

Post by julie »

Ruby is very strong on the lead and pulls a lot, very unlike Honey who walked on recall from beginning to end of most walks at her sedate pace.

We have bought a halti collar which she hates; she takes this off, I put it back on again, and again, and again! It's off over 2 dozen times a walk; we are seeing the wilfull side of her character now! She is a little better on her regular morning walk where she knows where she's going but any other routes we're back to how we started.

Has anybody got any training tips or other training aids that were useful to you? She has only been home a short while, but we're keen to get to grips with this.

Thanks
Julie
x
marianne

Re: Lead Training

Post by marianne »

Hi, when we first got Jasper as a puppy we let him pull, then he grew and we had a big dog that pulled.!

we tried the hatli but Jasper kept pushing it off with his paw.I personally don,t think they stop the problem

My neighbour who had 3 extremely well behaved spaniels, they walk behind her, showed me what to do.

Take your dog somewhere quite with no distractions, then drop the lead onto the floor, then say "heel" and tread on the lead at the same time , basically the dog gets yanked back, if you do this a few times, hopefully your dog will get the message. It worked for jasper, I only spent about 10mins training him, and ever since he walks lovely, if he does pull i say heel and he drops back quickly.

good luck

Marianne and Jasper
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

:2035: Hi Julie,

Both our Goldens have been very different in their behaviour when on the lead. Ella very rarelly pulls, but Leigh was awful. We tried everything and in the end we found that a short lead worked well. If she started to pull, we stopped, then WALK ON, with a reward when she responded. I would leave the Halti off as it's not doing any good and will only frustrate her more.

I think Ruby is doing well in the short time she has been with you. She will be getting used to her regular route as you say and will be calming down, but take her somewhere new and she won't hear you, everything's tooooo exciting! Selective hearing!! all part of a Golden's makeup.

Don't worry too much, she's happy and enjoying her new life. Time and patience and I'm sure she'll get there :love4
julie

Post by julie »

We have had some success with the short lead approach. I know it's still early days, with lots of new things to explore and excite Ruby so we're taking it day by day and her regular walk improves each day.

Ruby isn't supposed to go on the bed or the sofa; so she has a new trick. If you stand with hind legs on the floor, the front ones and her body can lie on the bed. Wish I had a photo of her doing this, she's a little contortionist. Reminds me of the 1930s films where the gentleman always kept a foot on the floor in bedroom scenes!