coming when called

Tips, advice and discussion on training related matters

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

julia

coming when called

Post by julia »

When Poppy is off the lead she doesn't realise that calling her means she is meant to come to me. I know she hears because she looks up, but then plods on with what she is doing. I've tried a whistle too. She is never in danger because she is only off the lead where she is safe, but it can mean I have to go up slopes to get her and my arthritis is probably worse than hers so that's not great.
Its not the end of the world but it would be nice to teach an old dog new tricks. I have tried giving her cubes of cheese when she returns but she still comes back when she chooses and then gets the cheese. Any ideas please
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Re: coming when called

Post by janrobinson »

Unfortunately this is a Golden thing. Hope you can improve it somehow.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Try a bit of basic recall in your back garden,have a nice treat in your pocket, like some liver, or some chicken, something that she can smell, then you will be of interest to her, call her when in the garden and when she comes to you make her sit and give some of the treat.
Then bit by bit call her from your kitchen when she is out side and again give her a treat.But dont give her the treat until she comes back when you call her,she has to realise the to get the treat she must come back to you.
If you do this a few times a day she will begin to realise that when you call her she gets a nice treat.
Then when you go outside try this again, of course there maybe some nice smells about but hopefully if you have done the training regulary she will think "its treat time" as time goes on only give her a treat every now and again so it keeps her guessing "Am I going to get a treat this time or not,".Always praise her so she knows she is being really good.
If you are using the whistle then use the whistle from the word go and combine it with the treat, that way she will realise the whistle is a good thing and means nice treats.

Good luck.
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Please, remember, its a great big world out there and she has a lot of exploring to do. Dogs are just like children , they dont always come in when you first shout them as they are having such a good time. Poppy will learn to come when you call her, but not a dog in the world, will not want to stay and play or explore sometimes. :thumbleft
Last edited by lenny on Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hel_Pen

Post by Hel_Pen »

Hello,

As well as the basic recall training I find it is a good idea to run/walk in the opposite direction while calling your dog. If they think you might be leaving them they will be more likely to come. Also they can see it as a bit of a game. Keep working on it as a good recall can be a life saver.

:thumbleft

Helen.
julie

Post by julie »

I think Ruby came home at a similar time to Poppy. With Ruby and also Honey before her, we used the same techniques Hairy Dog (gotta love your name!!) posted, starting in the garden, then including the house and then on recall on walks.

Ruby has to come back to me to receive the treat; now she gets a treat or a good girl or an extra love.

If I turn and say this way, she will follow me and she also likes to keep an eye on where I am when she's on recall. Ruby can still get the golden deafness if she spots a cat that doesn't belong to us. The odd mishap may still happen - they do with Ruby but less frequently and its easier to get her back on track now.

Good luck.