pulling on the lead and barking when meeting other dogs

Tips, advice and discussion on training related matters

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

sue

pulling on the lead and barking when meeting other dogs

Post by sue »

any idea's please,we have had max for about seven months.he's very friendly with other dogs,but when he is walking on the lead and meets another dog which he doesn't know he's likely to launch himself growling and barking at the dog he appears to just want to play some people are ok and once the first few seconds are over he's ok .i've tried sitting him by my side and waiting for the dog to pass and sometimes he's good and others not,i've tried letting him walk up to other dogs so he is on a longer lead again sometimes this also works. in certain places i can let him off the lead[he has a tendancy to get a scent or if anything runs chase it]but if not distracted is very obedient i do walk with friends with dogs other than being very very boistrous he's fine with them.i've tried giving him treats when he behaves and again sometimes this works.sometimes we can walk for afew days and he's ok.i cannot work out what makes him do this,one time he pulled me over and the frost is coming,this makes him sound a nightmare but he's not most of the time he's reasonable ok.he's only 22months old could it be just perseverence?he's so full of life and i don't want to spoil this.i've wondered about a halti collar ,any idea's would be appreciated
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

This could be a bit of fear agression, he doesnt know the dog so its the fight or flight syndrome,in other words I will bark at you before you have the chance.
Is he nuetered at all? if not it may be an option,the tetosterone will have calmed down now and 2yrs old is a good time to nueter them.

He needs to know that you are his leader of his pack,I dont mean be harsh just
but be calm, and when another dog approaches, be calm,hold him firm, and should another dog go by if he lunges at him, a firm NO, pull him back,sit quietly let the other dog go by...then carry on for the walk..he will in time learn that you are the leader you have nothing to fear from other dogs, so he doesnt either,in his mind he could be protecting you, but he doesnt need to do that.Also carry some treats but nice treats something different when training try liver,chicken something they dont normally have this will also make the training sessions exciting as his treats are something tasty.If a dog passes by and he doesnt lunge then reward him with the treat,he will soon catch on.. :)
22 months is still very young my Paddy has only just started to calm down a bit and he is 5 next month,this is all part of the growing up process, hang on in there you will get there in the end..
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Sometimes dogs on a lead are more aggressive because they feel threatened and know they can not get away. Also you do not know what signals the other dog is giving. As he isn't the same with all dogs then it must be something in the other dog that sets him off. Perhaps when you see another dog you unconsciously( that looks like it is spelt wrong but never mind) tense and this passes down the lead. Do not tense up and do not stop so he can sniff or be friends until you know. It is usually all in the body signals.

Good Luck

Jan
sue

Post by sue »

thanks for your replies;i do tense up when i see a dog coming i don't know, so i will try to relax more also i will try some extra special treats,i don't know but it seems to be mostly quietier dogs if a bigger dog has a bark at him he tends to back down.he was castrated 5 months ago maybe this has something to do with it.i'll keep you posted
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Dogs can sense when you are nervous, so go with the flow and keep calm... :)