Travelling with my dog

Tips, advice and discussion on training related matters

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

penningtonART

Travelling with my dog

Post by penningtonART »

Hi everyone - this is my first post and I've a lot to ask you all. The story goes.... When my girlfriend moved in, she also came with a handsome chap called Jake - now approaching 10 years old, but hey - he's in pretty fit for his age! The problem is that it took a couple of years for him to accept his new home. The neighbours had to put up with a good 6 months of barking! We tried long walks and tablets from the vets. The vet said it could take over a year for him to settle. Our miracle cure was the spray collar - this seems to have done the trick (and we still use it), though he does on occasions bark if we go out in the evenings - but on the whole we always try to make sure he has company in the evenings and we now rarely go out.... to mention the letter from the council, that's another story. Get the jist?

So that's the background, now there's more! So we can get away, I'm looking a buying a Camper Trailer - with an awning. Travelling in the car will be my first problem. Jake is not frightened of the car - but again he fights to get in the front seat and barks excitedly, until he sometimes becomes very agitated and his rump hair stands up on end!. Secondly - how will he react to sleeping in a camper trailer? I hope he will be ok as I'm sure that he will probably do more walking than ever, so he should easily drop off at night! It does worry me if Jake is a little too noisy, especially in the evenings/night.

I'm interested to hear of any techniques in training or equipment to help
Jake enjoy his future holidays, or any advice on travelling with your pet.

I look forward to your posts!

Dave
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Welcome to our site.

I feel sure Jake will love the camper trailer especially if he is with you during the night.

I am sure someone will be along to tell you how to stop hm being so excited in the car. Jumping about and barking is unacceptable while you are driving. Perhaps a cage might be the best thing to contain him. You can also get a D.A.P. spray but that is usually to manage fear of travelling to create a calm atmosphere. It is not to spray the dog but the environment. Although barking can be a maifestation of fear. Who knows.
Hope someone can help.