reflections & Puddles

Tips, advice and discussion on training related matters

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

chris w

reflections & Puddles

Post by chris w »

Hi we are new here, but have a 1 year old golden called Poppy, she is very well behaved on the whole, the only problems we have with her is when it has been raining hard and there are puddles on the fields that we walk on... she totally blanks us and stands in the water tail wagging and dipping her head in the water and will not however much we try come back to us.....or when it is very sunny and things are reflecting off glass or metal she chases them like a lunatic. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas, she has been to training classes but the big puddles are just a nightmare. Walking has been much easier since we have had the lovely weather!

Really nice to be able to chat to like minded Golden lover friends. :lol:
labres1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by labres1 »

welcome to the world of golden retrievers.. the water and mud magnets of the dog world!

we have 2 - and at the first sight of water, all you can see is the tale dissappearing under the water like a submarine periscope...

They were bred to love water - and the muddier and smellier the better..

:lol:
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

Hi chris w,

Welcome to our website.

I have to agree with everything that Ian says. When we had Leigh, our first Goldie, she was exactly the same as your Poppy. She could smell water a mile off, she'd get out of the car, nose in the air, and would'nt stop till she found it. :shock: We've had Ella for 3 1/2 yrs now. she did'nt like water at all at first , but now she's like them all, river or puddle, she's in. They are wonderfull dogs, just go with it :D

PS. We err on the side of caution when there are steep river banks and put her on the lead.

All the best to you.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Hi Chris', and welcome to the site.

Like the other posts, I'm afraid that it goes with the territory :D
Goldens and water go paw in glove. Water is a magnet to them, excuse the pun', you'll have to go with the flow on that one. They all adore it. If she's good in every other way, let her enjoy the moment. It's all part of a Goldens idea of heaven. Mud is a favorite at this house, roll in it, scrub in it. Thank heavens for Mr. Hoselock :lol:

A quick p.s.
The past few days, boy Tim's got a penchant for swan poo :shock:
The swans here have their young at present, and they have taken to basking on the tow path. If I forget to do a recky, he's onto it like a bat out of hell, scrubbing it for all he's worth. Once again, Hozelock at the ready :wink:
RUSSELL

Post by RUSSELL »

Hi Paul

I must agree what all the others have said our jasper could get wet in a cup of water. He just throws himself full length into the water and just
lays in it. They have cut the grass in our fields and now sprayed the fields, so you have to have your wits about you when on the extendable lead. Watering cans and shampoo at they ready with a chamois leather.

Enjoy the Goldie's they are just perfect Dogs never mind the mess.

Russell
Eastonwolfs

Post by Eastonwolfs »

I'm not sure this is about water but more about the fact she can see her reflection in these puddles and things and thinks its another dog to play with...or she stands and stares waiting for the 'other' dog to chase her?

What the answer is I don't know?
chris w

Puddles and reflections

Post by chris w »

Thanks to everyone who has replied. it has been very helpful to know its normal. Poppy loves water and seems to be at her maddest when wet.
To Lynn, it looks like our dogs are on the same wavelength, poppy loves swan poo, duck poo and goose poo as well.
We have had dogs before, (collies and labs), but this our first golden and we have decided that goldens are for us. The impact she has made on our family is so amazing that we are looking to get her a companion.
We are glad we found this site and thank everyone for making us feel welcome.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Chris.

Sounds like you're well and truly smitten.

You've joined the club :lol:

As for the smelly stuff, if they don't eat it, they'll roll in what's left :oops: :oops: :oops:

If you are thinking of another dog, please remember our Jan. There are so many Goldens waiting to be loved at Rescue. Don't be put off by the name, RESCUE, they aren't dogs with behavioural problems, just need a helping hand to find the love they deserve as you may have gathered from a lot of our posts.
All the best.Lynn