Barking

Tips, advice and discussion on training related matters

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

julie

Barking

Post by julie »

My fantastic girl is brilliant in everyway except for her barking.
Our garden backs onto the canal tow path and whilst its great people passing know she's there and she's by no means a nuisance barker, getting her to stop can sometimes be difficult. Can anybody recomend a command (she responds best to single / short ones) or method? She is very obedient and has learnt lots of new tricks and games but this is the one we still struggle with.
Thanks in advance, look forward to seeing you all again in September,
Honey's Mum
labres1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by labres1 »

Dont know how to train them not to bark - only just starting with the puppy classes !!

Glenys, at Labrador Rescue uses an anti bark collar if they get any in the rescue that bark too much - they are supposed to be quite good -

I believe there are some which use a small electric shock which I cant say I agree with personally but, the other kind use something like a lemon spray which is harmless - when they bark it sprays the smell which they dont like and it stops them barking - might be worth investigating - or pop onto lab rescue site and ask about the collars or the barking issue on there - they will be happy to advise and as this site is only getting started and the Lab site is fairly established, it has more members that may be able to advise you..
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Firstly ask yourself why and when does she bark, is it in excitement? or is it to get attention?
Get a nice treat, ie chicken something that she dosent usually have, then when she does bark first find out why she is barking, is someone going past the house if it is then say "Thankyou Honey thankyou, this is to tell her that you have noted why she is barking and as you are the pack leader that is enough,and you are in charge of the situation,when she stops barking give her the treat.
Of course it is in a dogs nature to bark,and alert the "pack" so always find out first why she is barking...
HTH.
candys mum

Post by candys mum »

I had this problem with a GSD. We tried the anti-bark collars of all sorts, spending a fortune, but each one only worked for the first go. Don't waste your money. I found a method that worked but not too sure if it would be suitable for a Goldie as their more sensative. Put some gravel in a plastic bottle when they start to bark, throw the bottle at the dogs legs but aim to miss. This should be done without them seeing where the bottle has come from if possible. Another method I have heard of but not tried, is first of all teach them to bark on command with the use of a clicker. Then you can teach the stop bark command also with the clicker.
julie

Barking Update

Post by julie »

We have been trying the Thank You method. We've had more success at stopping when its been alert barking when someone goes past or barking to the dog next door.

She still announces her arrival out of the front door or to the wheelie bins on bin day; I've found she stops quicker if I block the distraction, ask her to sit and then she has a fuss and praise. She's now almost always sits automatically when I turn her to me ready to be told how beautiful and good she is!

As she was a stray before coming to Jan we don't know why she does it; but we are getting there (slowly!).
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Hi Honey's mum

I have a collar with a remote control that you can spray the lemon stuff whenyou want to . It was donated to the Rescue some time ago and I lent it to another Rescue dog as he was always barking at the fence. It has worked so the collar is back and you are welcome to try it. Give me a ring if you want it.

Jan
julie

Post by julie »

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your offer. Honey's making good progress and most of her barking is now for a reason - mainly alert. She's not a continual barker like some we see on TV programs and she barks less now than the dog next door!

Hopefully we've got on the right direction, thanks for the offer (and I may come back to you on it in the future).

Julie
julie

Fun Day

Post by julie »

She's continuing to make progress around the house etc but now hates it when motorbikes pull alongside the car at traffic lights!

Unfortunately we didn't make it to the Fun Day this year - the weather looked kinder than last year! Honey must have a name sake.

Sorry to have missed out on the fun. Sounds like you all had a great day.