Behavioral problems

Tips, advice and discussion on training related matters

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

itspjb

Behavioral problems

Post by itspjb »

Hi, I have a rescue Golden Retriever dog, twenty two month old. The dog was castrated about a month ago.

We have two problems that we don’t seem to be able to correct.

1. Mouthing. The dog continually soft bites. This is directed more at my female partner rather than to me. He also goes for her clothes. Generally anything left lying around or on a bedside table he will pick up.
Additionally, he will paw at you, which can be dangerous as he has sharp claws. If left in the garden he digs at the borders.

He is receiving three thirty minute walk a day.

2. Waking early –.. The dog seems happy to sleep downstairs in the hallway on his bed. The problem is he wakes early (6.30 a.m) and whines to be let into the bedroom. When we first adopted the dog he slept in the bedroom for the first few nights and stayed on the floor. Now he insists on coming into the bedroom and onto the bed and when he gets on the bed he is active and disruptive.

I appreciate that we have probably made a rod for our own back by allowing him into the bedroom and onto the bed in the first place, but is there any way of correcting the situation? I have tried making him sleep in the kitchen and conservatory but he whines there also, very early in the morning and I’m afraid he will wake the neighbours, so I give in and allow him into the bedroom.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Paul Banks
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Behavioral problems

Post by lynn wise »

Paul,

You haven't said how long you have had this pup. If he is a recent addition, bear in mind you may not know what he has experienced, and he is in a new home where he may not be sure of himself. They can take some time to come to terms with the change in their lives.
As for the mouthing, all ours have done this as puppies, they are after all Gundogs. Providing he isn't actually biting, I think I would be inclined to say "NO". He'll get the message eventually.
Waking Early... 6.30 is late in this household. Only because of working early shifts, but the dogs have that inbuilt clock that doesn't take into account Saturdays and Sundays. Perhaps your boy's been used to waking early, and only doing what he's always done. NOW.....the beds, have you seen some of the photos on this site? Goldens are notorious Duvet Dogs. Sorry, but these are things that go hand in paw with Goldens.

None of this may help you, it is only my take on things, but I feel sure others may be of help.

In between time...Give him time to settle and find his way, with your help and guidance.
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

Hi, and welcome.

One of our Goldens used to 'mouth'. We had to divert her attention to something else, a toy etc, or as Lynn has said, a firm "NO", then maybe a small reward until he gets the message.
He is still very young, and has had a lot to cope with in his short life. As for picking things up, It's just what Golden's 'do'. We never know what Ella will take to the door as a greeting :1960
She also wakes early, comes into the bedroom to let us know,then goes back to her bed on the landing. She has never been allowed on the bed. Again, it will take time and patience, you will get there. Best of luck, they are wonderful dogs.
65Mile

Post by 65Mile »

Hello Paul,

For a fit young Golden, food, affection and exercise are essential, the first two are easy but exercise requires much more effort and is the key for good behaviour. We all know that bored children will get up to mischief, it`s the same for any dog who has surplus energy. In my opinion good behaviour in a young dog is a result of sufficient exercise, or a broken spirit.

Any twenty two month old Golden needs to run of his surplus energy (Castrated or complete will make no difference to energy levels) which requires a lot of physical effort by the owner/pack leader. On a lead, any young fit Golden will out-walk it`s two legged companion, it`s just no contest! so you should take him to some really wide open spaces where he can run free and wear himself out. If this is somewhere he has never been before, he sould return when called (You will be the only security he has), but treats do help. He will want to run with other dogs, which is natural, and may ignore you until he has had a bit of fun with them, if so when he returns give him lot`s of fussing.

Soft mouthing and pawing is simply a dog submissively asking you to play with him (Surplus energy again), bringing items to you is called being a Golden Retriever! They do crave company, but at night he will soon learn to stay off the bed, if you are firm with him, and waking early is simply a combination of him needing your company and energy to burn!

We have two rescue Goldens (The first one,Simon, was manic until exercised sufficiently) and if for some rare reason they do not have a 12/14 mile weekend walk, they are both like coiled springs by the following Wednesday.

So it has worked for me, but what do I know I support Sunderland AFC!!

Mike.
itspjb

Post by itspjb »

Dear All
I'm not sure how to reply to the people kind enough to answer my request for help concerning Alfie, our new addition to the family.

Alfie is twenty-two months old and has been in kennels for a short time prior to our adoption. I understand he came to the Retriever Rescue as result of a family spit-up. He seems a very friendly dog and will allow us both to do almost anything with him.

In every respect, other than the two problems highlighted he is a wonderful companion and continually amuses us both, apart from his visits to the bedroom early in the morning.

Once again, thanks for all replies.

Paul Banks
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

33 mins per walk a day for an active golden is just not enough a MINIMUM of 45 mins per day but if possible this twice a day mine go out 3 times a day for 45 mins in the morning then 45 mins afternoon (longer if nice sunny day and meeting friends out!) then again 20 mins walk round the block, in the evening.

Activitivity off lead also helps, goldens love to run, and play, and if they dont get enough exercise this is when they play up its just trying to burn off that excess energy.

The mouthing is normal mine still do it especially Lucy but a firm "off" should suffice,it is very early days it can take a rescue anything from a week to a month to maybe 6 months to settle in.Take each day as it comes and as he gets into a stable routine things should settle down.

As for the bedroom well, yes you could have made a rod for your back there, but I am as guilty as anyone here, goldens love people and both of mine come for a cuddle in the morning when their Dad goes off to work.. :2003: but you love them dont you....

HTH...
itspjb

Post by itspjb »

Hi, and once again thank you all very much for your answers.

We have had Alfie about two months.

He gets three, thirty minute walks a day. I could increase one of those I suppose to forty five minutes.

The gentleman who telephoned (Lenny), suggested a walk last thing at night. I'll try that.

We are taking Alfie to training classes and practice training during the day. However, he is GREAT walking on the lead and will sit, lie down, wait and stay.

The mouthing with my partner (less so with me) is a problem, as she has a couple of bruises. We are practicing the "NO" and turning away from Alfie, but he is quite persistent.

I should once again stress, that we love him dearly, but the early wakening and mouthing (with my partner) are a problem.

We also play with Alfie a great deal and I wonder if perhaps he is getting "giddy" and carrying on playing into quiet time.

Many thanks, Paul
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Hi Paul,

I think everyone has given some good advice. I do think that a 30 minutes walk is not long enough I know I said at the beginning that his muscles were soft from lack of excercise and short walks were advisable but now I think the time has come to up the excercise. Even my oldies at 13 have an hours walk albeit slowly in a morning and 3/4 hour in an afternoon. I personally do not advise walks at night. What fun is there in that. walking in the dark. No one to see. Play is fine if you instigate it and not Alfie. But I don't advise rough and tumble.
itspjb

Post by itspjb »

Hi Jan, I have increased his walk time to 50 minutes this evening, but bear in mind that he is also having two other walks totaling one hour, that's nearly two hours today. Additionally, he is getting training at home and a fair amount of play.

The training at the class in Altrincham is proving helpful as are the comments on the forum. Thanks everyone.

He seems much calmer the last couple of days.

Paul
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

really pleased to hear that Paul. Keep up the good work and I am sure everything else will fall into place in time.