In the Wars!!

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Samsmum

In the Wars!!

Post by Samsmum »

Hello Folks!
Sam and I have both been in the wars! I did too much practice for my last playing engagement, and have ended up with Tendonitis, and have a large brace on each wrist and thumb - makes doing everything very awkward.
Sam has sprained his leg. He was limping, though showing no signs of distress, or even bad pain (he is tougher than I am!!!) Anyway, we took him to the vet's yesterday, and she said that he had probably jumped and landed awkwardly. He didn't even flinch when she poked and prodded; however, she gave him Metamac to have with food for about five days, and he needed to rest his leg - how does one get a Golden to rest his leg.
He kept bringing things for us to throw, but I have given him things which he doesn't run after, and confiscated the things that we usually throw. Bless him he is so good-natured, but he is having the occasional sulk.
The vet said about five days, and he should be showing improvement so we shall just have to watch and wait.
Hope you and your Goldens are all in good fettle.
Best wishes - Samsmum (Joyce). :2007: :2029:
Steve
Senior User
Senior User

Re: In the Wars!!

Post by Steve »

Sorry to hear about your Tendinitis Joyce, take lots of rest ie no house work, cooking etc., as for poor Sam I think you should get him a set of steps to help him on & off the settee :1968 .
I had to fit an E collar on JB but after he'd scratched furniture, removed chunks of paint and over half the contents of the wine rack I cut him a deal: if "HE" didn't scratch "HE" didn't have to wear it. :thumbleft
bentley
Senior User
Senior User

Post by bentley »

Poor Joyce. I've had tendonitis and it flippin' hurts! Hope you and Sam both feel better soon. :love4
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Sorry to hear you and Sam are in the wars Joyce, hope you are both on the road to recovery. :bighug:
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

Sorry to hear you and Sam are suffering Joyce, hope you are both soon on the mend.

I think this must be catching. Our garden was like a war zone on monday. Ray had a fall down the steps....cut his head and hurt his back.....Paramedics called....ended up in A and E. Thankfully nothing broken and he's on the mend now. How strange is this....one of the Paramedics was Ian from our website. What a small world!

Thanks again to both of you Ian :thumbsup:
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

So sorry to hear that Ray had an accident Jean, hope things are going well for him. Sounds like a nasty fall, thankfully nothing broken.
:bighug: Ray and love to you and Ella.xxx
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Sorry to hear you and Sam have been in the wars Joyce Hope you are soon back to normal

Sorry to hear about Ray's accident Jean. But what a small world that Ian came to the rescue. You were in good hands. :love4
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

Hello Friends!
Thank you all for your sympathy as Sam and I struggle to get fit again.
Sam is still limping despite the medication, and we do try to rest him, but it is so difficult as he is quite an active dog, and he resents not being able to go and run about the garden, but as it is terraced, it has steps which, of course, puts more strain on the leg! I never realised that a Golden could issue such black looks.
The wrists are very painful still, and probably will be for a while yet, but with the braces on, I am able to function pretty well!
Sorry to hear about Ray's accident - we are a lot aren't we?!? - and do hope he is soon fully recovered. Monitor him very carefully, Jean - I know he won't like it, but never mind.
Hope all others are well, and have made the most of the lovely weather. Not so good just now, but never mind, I'm sure it will improve and get more sunny over the weekend.
Take care, keep smiling!
Best wishes t0 you all - Samsmum (Joyce) :1942: :1959:
sammingtonsmythes

Post by sammingtonsmythes »

so sorry to hear of all our friends in the wars !Love to everyone!
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

Short up-date on the "Wars" situation.
I look like to be wearing braces on my wrists for some time to come, and no practice being done!!
Sam continues to limp, so we took him back to the vet on Wednesday. She examined his leg and foot again, but can find nothing. He shows no sign of pain or distress whatever is done to his leg or paw, so she has given him a 10 day course of Metamac, to see how he gets on with that. He has another appointment for the 22nd. We are keeping him rested as much as we can (what a job!!), so keeping fingers crossed that it will soon clear up.
Hope all others "in the wars" are on the mend.
Best wishes to you all, and thank you for your good wishes.
Samsmum (Joyce). :1964
sammingtonsmythes

Post by sammingtonsmythes »

Thank you for the update Joyce oh lord!Well i suppose with you both resting it helps
love to the three of you
xx
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

Hello Friends!
We really are in the wars now! Iam still wearing a brace on each wrist, and look like doing so for some time.
Poor Sam is quite poorly. Last week the vet gave him more Metacam after the first course made no difference, and we had waiting for a few days to see if his limp went away.
However , after getting up the last three mornings to find chocolate-coloured stuff had been emitted from both ends. We rushed him to the vet's this morning, and he said Sams's temperature was slightly up, his abdomen and tummy were tender and inflamed, and he suspected Pancreatitis or Ulcers, and Haemorraging. So Metacam is stopped, and he had an antibiotic injection, and has to have ant-acid tablets twice a day, and only four small meals of 1 dessertspoonful of chopped chicken or some scrambled egg. We have a provisional appointment for tomorrow morning. Colin wants to see if his stomch has settled down tomorrow morning, in which case, he would suspect the Metacam could have produced the trouble.
We have t o ring up and tell him how Sam is, and if there is no more evidence tomorrow morning, we have to take him in on Friday, for a check. It is very worrying, but Colin is a brilliant and very thorough vet, so I do trust him.
Fingers crossed! Meantime we have cancelled our short holiday, starting on Thursday, so we can be near our vet, and because caravan facilities are not really too good in this situation!!
Hope you all and your lovely Goldens are all in good health.
Best wishes - Samsmum (Joyce). :2009:
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Thinking of you and poor Sam Hope he is soon feeling better :love4
bentley
Senior User
Senior User

Post by bentley »

I hope you and Sam are feeling much better soon. :bighug:
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Keeping our fingers crossed also get well soon Sam, Lenny Celia Emily and Snowy. :1999: :love5