Holidays!

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Samsmum

Holidays!

Post by Samsmum »

Hello Friends!
On Monday we returned from a holiday in Cornwall, where our son John and his partner live. (On the Lizard!)
We had a lovely time, but for various reasons we were unable to take Sam with us.
I had been worried about him, as I mentioned a few weeks ago, he had developed a limp for which the vet could find an explanation, but thought he may have twisted his front leg when chasing about in the garden.
If we cannot take Sam away with us, he normally goes in to the local kennels. We know the people there, and he has always been happy to go, and come out just as well as he went in. However, the dogs are taken into a paddock for exercise if they like a good run round, but as the vet had told us that limited exercise would get the leg right, but it could take a few weeks, we were worried.
Sam's friend Harold, next door, has a daughter who has a Golden from Jan, and she found a carer quite local.
We went to see her, and she was a lovely lady, and Sam took to her right away. Her home is pretty well dog-proofed, and she cares for maximum 4 dogs at a time.
We filled in a lot of forms (she has her own company, and is police approved etc) and took Sam up to see her a few days before we went away, and he immediately sniffed around and then lay down quite happily, and made himself at home.
She treats each dog as it is treated at its own home - i.e. feeding times, amount of food, how much exercsie, allowed on furniture or not, likes and dislikes, toys, etc.
Well, Sam had a great time. Rebecca said he was really great with the other three dogs, playing with them quite gently, as they were all much smaller than him, and got on with her two children (20 and 14), and was quite at home there. She gave him monitored exercise as requested because of his leg, and he came home without a limp. If she has to go out, each dog is put in a separate room until she returns.
As she was coming to see someone near us, she brought him home. She got him out of the van, which had a cage with bed in it, and stood with him at the top of the drive; he came down and gave us a cursory greeting, and ran back to her and sat down! They came into the house, and when she was going he accompanied her to the door all ready to go back. When she had gone out, he ran to the window and watched her get into the van, then ran to the door again.
He was a bit quiet the next day; I think he was missing his playmates, but he was soon himself again.
It was quite expensive, but gave us peace of mind.
Carol said that Leia didn't want to go home when she went to pick her up. So Rebecca must give them a good time, as well as grooming and teeth cleaning etc.
As for our holiday - we had just one very bad rainy day. It did rain other times, but it was during the night, when it sounded like seagulls with boots on jumping around on the caravan roof!!! We had a really good time and a good rest from a hectic lifestyle, and David and I came back refreshed and ready to face the world again!!
Hope you all have good holidays and that the weather is kind to you.
Best wishes to you and your lovely Goldens, wherever you are - Samsmum (Joyce). :love4 :1954:
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Holidays!

Post by lenny »

Great news that you had good holiday, sounds like Sam enjoyed his as well , when we go away we have in laws staying and neighbours coming in, our two are not put into kennels only because we have such good friends, arnt we lucky. Sam seems to have met a family of new friends with Rebecca and her family,and now he has no limp as well must make you feel all the worries you had before you went away now seem pointless. I do hope Sam continues his good health and enjoys a long and happy with you and your family Joyce. :love4
Steve
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Steve »

Hi Joyce, so pleased Sam had a grand holiday as well as you and David. My mum used to dog sit for us as she was living with us: so holidays weren't a problem, when she died our daughter Kate took over when she was home from University.
Jackey officially retires on Aug 31st., so we're off to Scotland on September 1st., we decided to break the journey with an overnight stop in a place called Eccleston,
I don't know if any of you know it, but it is supposed to be full of Goldens :1945:
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

What a coincidence, we will be there on the same day, hope we bump into each other. :1945:
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

Hi Steve!
No I don't know Eccleston at all. Hope you and Jackey have a great holiday in Scotland, and that the weather is kind to you.
Best wishes - Joyce. :1942: