Suddenly gone

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Airclan

Suddenly gone

Post by Airclan »

Last Tuesday Sophie was suddenly taken from us. At just two and a half years old it was unexpected and deeply upsetting.

We all feel a huge hole of emptiness which is testament to how big Sophie’s character was, especially since we only had the privilege of her being part of our family for eighteen months.

Sophie was loved and cared for, wanting for nothing and going everywhere with us. However she gave love and trust back in bucket loads. She was the first large dog I’ve ever had who would climb up on your seat and put her neck on your chest wanting a hug.

As a great looking, friendly well behaved girl she was admired by everyone she met. Regardless of what time of the day or night I could always be guaranteed a happy tail wagging reception at the front door when I got home from shift.

Zoe our small dog spent many hours playing together with Sophie, usually instigated by Sophie as she was never one to sit around when there was fun to be had. Sophie enjoyed everything from teasing us with her tennis balls to meeting friends new and old and going for walks around the fens (she would be the first one to the front door and sitting waiting when you either picked up some poo bags or started putting on your boots).

Jan, thank you for the card and your thoughts, but more than that thank you so much for putting us together. We love and miss Sophie very much, but take solace that she had a great life with us and in the end did not suffer.

Ed, Jane, Elizabeth and Zoe
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Re: Suddenly gone

Post by janrobinson »

such a lovely tribute to a much loved little girl. I know how much you are hurting and am thinking of you :cry3: :love4
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

So very sorry to hear your devastating news, can't even begin to imagine the sorrow you must be going through, she was so young and it being so unexpected . We send you all our deepest wishes that the pain you are going through easies with time and the memories of the short but very happy time you shared are remembered with smiles and not tears. :love2
vickic

Post by vickic »

So very very sorry, whenever you lose a friend it always hurts so much but to lose one at such a young age you feel so cheated.

Our thoughts are with you

Kind regards

Vicki, John, Flossie and Dora
rosndognme

Post by rosndognme »

That is so sad that you lost Sophie at just two and a half years old. At least you did spend a short but happy time with her ... and those memories will live on forever
milo's mum

Post by milo's mum »

how sad that you lost sophie and at such a young age. my heart goes out to you. when you think of her remember the life you gave her and how much she made you laugh and smile. the sadness of losing our goldens does ease with time but the memories stay with us forever.thinking of you at this sad time.
xx
Airclan

Post by Airclan »

Thank you all for your kind thoughts.

While out walking through our village, Zoe stopped and stared across the road, Sniffing the air.
My wife followed her gaze to see what had attracted her attention. There sitting outside our local pub was a Goldie.

It would be nice if our dogs could talk, but sometimes they don't need to.

Love you Sophie
bentley
Senior User
Senior User

Post by bentley »

I'm so sorry to hear about your terrible loss. Thinking about you.

Lesley
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

So very sorry for your loss of Sophie, you are in our thoughts
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

How did I miss this? So very sorry to hear your news, how utterly devastating for you to loose your youngster like that. You are in my thoughts.
:bighug:
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

I too missed this am so very sorry to lose Sophie at such a young age.... :2024: Thinking of you all...
Mark Andrew

Post by Mark Andrew »

I feel you pain having gone through the same a few weeks ago, it hurts!
bracken1

Post by bracken1 »

Although I probably cannot add to the words of support and sympathy you have already received from other Goldie Rescuers ,I felt I could not fail to say something. I was so disturbed by what had happened to your Sophie and the effects it must have had on your family. I believe all Goldies ooze love and bring so much joy into our lives for her to be snatched from you so quickly and without warning must be very hard to bear. If there is anything positive you can take from the situation it is that she did not suffer – there were not endless trips to the vets, treatment etc and she died when she was actually enjoying herself. Whilst this is no consolation to you, you know in your hearts that she was given the best life it was possible to give and she did not die when she was alone.
I hope that when your hearts have started to heal that you will open your doors to another beautiful dog who has been deprived of the tender love and care he or she deserves so give please don’t be put off as I am sure your experience was a very rare one and very unlikely to happen again.
All the best to you all – we adopted Molly in January there is a picture of her lying on Duncans knee but we have not posted anything before. Molly will be our fifth rescue our last two boys lived to 15 and 16.
Dorothy Duncan and Molly
superjazz

Post by superjazz »

So very sorry to read of your sad loss of Sophie at such a young age. Our thoughts and sympathy are with you.
Pat , Syd & Katie
Airclan

Post by Airclan »

I have read the above sentiments and comments many times since losing Sophie just over a year ago. These coupled with Jan’s updates on the other Goldies who have found their forever homes have helped enormously, so I just wanted to give a big thank you to everyone and say well done to Jan and keep up the good work.

Ed