How hard to let your beloved family member go

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

hope

How hard to let your beloved family member go

Post by hope »

Yesterday my beloved Solo went to Rainbow Bridge ... I have never felt such pain. I cannot stop sobbing ... He was my everything He and I were always together 24/7 He was my shadow ... I cannot explain the love I had and have for my lovely boy..he was kind ,gentle,so good ..I cannot think at this moment in time how I am ever going to get over it .. My heart is breaking.. His back legs were going ..we tried everything possible he had hydrotherapy medicines acupuncture... The vets who were wonderful to him said you have do e everything possible there is nothing more you could have done .. I had the vet come to the house to put him to sleep I wanted him to be comfortable they were lovely and kind to me and him... After the first injection he came to me and looked scared as if to say what's happening mum.. I can't get that scared look of my mind then the second injection he went down but all the time I kept saying its o.k mama's here I love you so much. And he went. I pray his brother was there to meet him .im scared he wasn't. Please forgive me for writing this but I needed people who would understand my complete heartbreak .... :cry3:
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Re: How hard to let your beloved family member go

Post by lenny »

I am so sorry to hear of your sad loss of your beloved Solo, reading your post brought tears to my eyes as I have been through the pain you are going through. Throughout his life you loved and cared for him and did everything you could to ease his pain, but unfortunately there comes a time when we can do no more. Oh how I have wished my dogs could live as long as me. His life with you must have been a very happy one and that's as much as we can do for all our loved ones. Do not feel you let him down in any way, you did not want him to suffer anymore and made the right choice for him . The pain gradually easies and the good times you shared will be remembered always. Our thoughts are with you and Solo all our love Len Celia Emily & Snowy.
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

I am so very sorry for your loss of Solo. I can understand the heartbreak you are feeling, having been through it myself....and will do so again. But the love we have for our wonderful companions, gives us the strength and compassion to let them go with dignity and in peace, knowing that they will always live on in our hearts. Solo was a wonderful friend and companion to you, and in time you will remember him and smile again.

You are in our thoughts, Jean.
Steve
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Steve »

Hello, so very sorry to hear your sad loss of Solo.

your story is the same as mine: JB's back legs went on the Sunday morning and by the evening the vet said there was nothing we could; I had to make "the decision" so I know how you're feeling.

Please don't feel guilty; you did the kindest thing for Solo but it does take time for us to believe this.

You are in our thoughts, take care,
Steve & Jackie.
hope

Post by hope »

Thank you so much for support and caring... It means a lot when your hurting thank you all and Steve and Jackie I'm so sorry fir your loss to I feel for you both your very kind to answer and when you think it's never going to get better it helps to know kind people are here for you ..thank you from my heart ....
milo's mum

Post by milo's mum »

when we let a dog into our lives they become part of our family. as our family we love them and care for them. part of that care is to know when they are hurting and to stop the hurt. i like the majority of the people on this site have made the same decision you have ( in my case 8 weeks ago) . this decision is not made lightly but it does need doing.
you have to understand it is done out of love. it is that same love that is going to put a big smile on your face in the coming months when the hurt does subside. of course you are crying.. that is a natural reaction to grief. the only people who will not understand are the people who have never owned a dog. in time you will get that feeling in your stomach and you will know that it's time to get another one. that is not betrayal either it is simply solo sending you a message that it's time you let another furry friend into your heart.
in the meantime i am thinking of you x
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

I'm reading this in tears..... I am in the most beautiful of surroundings, and Cobi is lying outside the caravan awning a few feet away from me and although we are so lucky to have one golden, I still get upset for the dogs we have 'lost'..... you have lost an important part of your life. I cannot understand people who do not or cannot find love in their hearts for animals. This is why it hurts so much when we have to say goodbye to them. The day we lost Ginnie 18 months ago, she took off at a fast rate of knots on Cannock Chase, she had already had a good bark at the deer..... then she went down and couldn't get up on her back legs, my husband carried her 150yds back to the nearest place I could get my car to, and sadly the vets was on our way home. We thought we may lose her several months earlier to lymphoma, but our vet managed to keep her pain free with a good quality of life, which is what we all want for our dogs... even though it's breaks our heart when we have to make that dreadful decision..... but our big beautiful old bear had a better quality of life even the day before she died than the last year of my father's life.

You will know when the time is right that you may want to give another dog the chance of a good life with you. Don't feel guilty, your love for Solo will never die... neither will your memories :love4

Lynda, Les and Cobi
Mark Andrew

Post by Mark Andrew »

We've just gone through the same thing and it hurts. We've just adopted another, its what William would have wanted as he was one of Jan's. We lost William to cancer and making 'that' decision is the hardest way you can ultimately show your love for them. Any dog you've had for a while will trust you with those decisions and they repay you with unconditional love. We're still hurting now but we know we made the right decision. William's quality of life up until that point had been fantastic and we loved him too much to have him suffer or fade away.What we did was for him not us. Don't beat yourself up, you did the best you could for Solo but unfortunately with love comes pain!

Ps adopting another is the only way!!! :1942:
hope

Post by hope »

Where could I find the love and understanding. But on here... I feel all your pain who have also gone through this. I have always had goldens and our home has been full of love and commitment for them they were our family our love. The children are long gone so they were our companions our family. I cannot be without a golden so I know I will adopt. My boy was so loving he would have wanted it. Thank you is a small word. But you see you helped me more than you could ever know love from my heart xxxxxx
Steve
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Steve »

[quote="hope"]Where could I find the love and understanding. But on here... I feel all your pain who have also gone through this.

This says it all,

I found this site soon after "JB" was pts (even now I still can't say it). For various reasons I know it is unlikely I shall ever have another dog but thanks to Jan and these forums I can keep in touch with friends who understand....and through these friends I can again share the happiness and the pain.
Best wishes, take care, Steve.
citybaz

Post by citybaz »

Sad to read of your loss of beautiful Solo..but you know you did the best for him and you should take great consolation from that. Dogs know when it is time to go.. X