Lucy, my beautiful girl

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Mary Owen

Lucy, my beautiful girl

Post by Mary Owen »

We were lucky enough to be allowed to give our darling Lucy a new home in 2008 when she was seven years old. She has brought us nothing but complete joy for almost six years. In 2012 she started to lose her sight and around twelve months ago she was almost completely blind, but our beautiful girl knew her way around, the tail was wagging all the time and our vet assured me that she was perfectly happy. Her health has deteriorated (we discovered that her cruciate ligaments were badly damaged before she came to us) and her legs have gradually got weaker and on 5th April, the bushy tail which always caused a lovely breeze, stopped wagging. On 7th April we made the toughest decision of our life and knew it was time for our beautiful girl to go to Rainbow Bridge. Run free darling Lucy, you filled our lives with love and happiness and we were so incredibly privileged to have such a beautiful, sweet natured girl in our lives. You will always be missed and never forgotten. Thank you Retriever Rescue for knowing that we would be the right family for such a special girl.
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Re: Lucy, my beautiful girl

Post by janrobinson »

Dear Mary,

I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your dearly loved Lucy. You have given her a wonderful life and although she has had problems you have overcome them for her.

When the inevitable decision has to be made at least we can do this one last loving act for our faithful companion. and they are calm and not frightened.

I am thinking of you

Jan :love4
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Please accept our sincere condolences on the loss of your " Lucy". A terrible time when they go to the Bridge, but you did your very best for her right 'til the end. Your final act of love and kindness. You gave her a good and loving life and for that you will have beautiful thoughts of her.
We will be thinking of you, :cry3:
bentley
Senior User
Senior User

Post by bentley »

I'm so sorry for your loss of your beloved Lucy.
Steve
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Steve »

Hello Mary, so very very sorry to hear of your loss. :2006: steve.
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Mary, we are so sad to hear you have lost your beloved Lucy, she has shared so much love and happiness with you and her memories with always be with you. A dogs love is unconditional, and when the time to let her go to the bridge came , you did what both she and you knew what was best. We know how devasted you must be, time will dry your tears and the happy memories will still bring a smile to your face. We all send our love Len Celia Emily and Snowy, and hope your pain soon goes away. :cry3: :love4
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

So sorry to hear of your sad loss. I know exactly how you feel at this time. I lost Sandie, my previous golden just over 2 years ago at the age of 15. As I was on my own I decided to wait before getting another as I was still working and didn't think it fair to leave a new dog on its own for any length of time. I'm now retired and have Mickey and he is such a wonderful friend and companion he has changed my life completely. He will never replace Sandie as I'm sure you all know from past experiences, but it does make life easier. I wish you all the best for the future. Paul
milo's mum

Post by milo's mum »

you have my greatest sympathy. i am coming up to the year anniversary of losing my last dog. it is never easy when they cross onto the bridge but time does make it easier and in the end there is laughter instead of just tears.
RUN FREE AT THE BRIDGE NOW LUCY xx
Mary Owen

Post by Mary Owen »

Thank you all for your very kind messages, they really do help. I know that I really did do the best thing for my girl and that our beautiful pets rely on us to make the decision that's right for them, not right for us. Mary
superjazz

Post by superjazz »

So very sorry to read of your sad loss of Lucy , Goldens are such wonderful dogs . Our thoughts are with you at this sad time.
Pat , Syd & Katie
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Lovely story about Lucy she truly had a wonderful life with you, and that's all we can do for our beloved dogs..Run Free darling Lucy.... :2024:
rosndog

Post by rosndog »

I was so sorry to read about your beautiful Lucy , but never forget what a great life she had with you, and also how much joy and love she gave...

You will always have your memories, and in time the pain will ease... :2024:

Thinking of you all at this sad time.
ceitadh

Post by ceitadh »

Thankyou for sharing your thoughts,feelings and love for Lucy she looked so loved and looked after. I know how you must be feeling it so sad and so hard,but like others have said you did what you had to do and of course you did not let her down,you were there to the last and you did that final act of love. I lost my dog Katie over three years ago and it does take you a long time to heal. For some getting another helps.For now we talk alot about her and share the memories smile and laugh. In the meantime I am putting together a scrapbook album gradually although progress is slow. I do miss Katie everyday but hopefully one day we will get a new friend. Sorry if ive gone on but you are in good hands on here and everyone feels for you. Take each day at a time.
Thinking of you.

Audrey,Gordon and Louise :love5