Recently Adopted a golden?

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Re: Recently Adopted a golden?

Post by janrobinson »

Lovely to see the photos Sarah. Thank you. She looks well settled in her nice bed.
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

Hi Sarah,
Glad you managed to sort the photo's. Tasha looks lovely. Hope she's settling well in her new home. How old is she? and have you had a Golden before?
SarahG
New User
New User

Post by SarahG »

Hi Ellas mum. Tasha is eight months now, but she is so large you can forget how young she is sometimes. we have had labradors in the past and although there are a lot common characteristics, I must admit I am a true golden retriever convert. She is excellent company on a walk, in the garden etc, but she is also very happy to settle down quietly in the evening. Plus to our total surprise she actually appears to watch the television! especially when the dog whisperer is on.
Sarah
carol08

Post by carol08 »

Hello everyone
Paul and I and our youngest son Jason (age 13) went to Chorley last Saturday to view and walk a 18 month old retreiver called 'Bonnie'. It was very snowy when we got half way and delayed us by about an hour. Luckilly we still got there and after a quick pub lunch we eventually met Jan and went to the kennels. Bonnie was brought to us, and we loved her straight away. We took her on the lead for a walk and we were taken by her for a little while until we calmed her down and tried to reassure her that it would be alright. It was a sort of bumpy walk until we all ended up stopping and starting and so on. We managed the walk and back to Jan for a chat. It was decided that we could take her home and she was well-behaved all the way. We stopped off at a pet shop in Haworth where my friend works just to introduce Bonnie to her. Sue loves her too! She already has 2 border collies that are both about 11 years old.
We went home and started to get Bonnnie used to us and our cat Murphy who is now 13. Well Murphy is still wondering whats going on but he is learning and so is Bonnie. Only when Murphy jumps up on to the window sill does Bonnie get a bit excited and then walks off when all Murphy has to offer is two big green eyes staring her out!!!
We love Bonnie and she is beautiful, two little accidents has happened so far, so thats not bad at all. We take her out on the lead but are going to buy a 'gentle leader' as recommended by Lynn (on here) and my friend in the pet shop. Bonnie likes to pull on the lead and my muscles are starting to ache from trying to restrain her - to walk to heel. She doesn't like shopping areas yet so didn't do that, went back to the car and go on main paths and walk ways. She has found the snow very exciting and likes to eat it, but doesn't like it if anyone slips, think this makes her feel anxious. I am a little bothered that she seems quiet at times and doesn't seem to respond to playing with rubber dog chews or hard balls. Perhaps I am expecting too much too quickly so have put the toys away for a while and just do it when she is ready. She loves cuddles, walking out, going in the car and is eating her food that Jan gave us really well. She is well-behaved in that she never attempts to pinch food, even when my son sits on the floor eating a snack from a plate. She is so good and I would like to say Thank you to Jan for our little angel.