River dance!

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

KDB

River dance!

Post by KDB »

I have to tell you about Barney's eventful walk this morning. Yesterday was such a miserable day that we didn't get out much so I thought that a walk along the Goit this morning would be nice.
Barney went dashing off with his usual enthusiasm when he knows there's water, splashing about having fun until he decided to get out at part of the bank that he couldn't because it was just a bit to high. I encouraged him to walk along a bit further where there is a slope that he can manage. You know how strong headed retrievers can be when they have their head made up about something...... and this is were Barney was determined to get out. I weighed up the bank and saw a good size stone which I thought would be a good step to give me balance to lean over and haul him out. All didn't go to plan......... as a steadied myself and reached down to him the stone that I was standing on slid down the bank and into the river quickly followed by me!!!! Funnily enough as a reached out to him I said "Barney one of these days you'll have both of us in here" As a lay on my back in the water (which was very cold) I couldn't help but chuckle a little and say "Barney.. that day is today"! Barney thought this quite funny as he stood over me tail wagging.
I had a ten minute walk squelching back to the car with my trousers soaking with water and trying to fall down. I met several dog walkers who's sense of humour was as warped as my own and funny how many said " Oh that NEARLY happened to me. When I got back to the car and put my had in my pocket.... No keys or phone-- you've guessed it... we had to walk back to where I had fallen in. Luckily I was able to spot both the car keys and my phone in the water. Keys are fine.... as mobile phones can't swim or float I'm afraid to say it's dead. Another walk back to the car with more amused but sympathetic dog walkers. I drove home with my trousers round my knees sat on a towel leaning forward to try and keep the seat back dry! Sorry there aren't any photo's to share of this particular walk but it will remain in my memory for a long time. I would add that the Goit is a small river and at it's deepest it's waist height, most places are knee deep. :1966:
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Re: River dance!

Post by janrobinson »

Love it !!!! :1956: Goldens can be the most stubborn dogs but don't we love them: :love4
bentley
Senior User
Senior User

Post by bentley »

Oh no!!! :2026: Poor you!!! *stifles laughter*

Look on the bright side; you've made loads of people smile today :love3 :love4 I'm glad you and Barney both came away unscathed from it all. Shame we can't say the same for your phone. :1960
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

Bet Barney was thinking :2074: Whoohoo, you coming in too!! :1949:

Glad all ok. Take the back off your phone and dry it out with a hair dryer....worked for me!
RUSSELL lumb
Senior User
Senior User

Post by RUSSELL lumb »

Hi

I bet all the people you met could remember a similar incident, our first
Goldie nearly pulled me over a waterfall just grabbed a tree in time. Hope
you are nice and dry now and Barney seems to have a mind of his own like
all Goldie's always at the wrong moment. We have just had anew kitchen
and our oldest son was plastering and jasper would not move and just sit
in and among the building site while Jordan worked round him. Bridget said
you should have moved him and Jordan said he just went limp and couldn't
budge him not even with a biscuit

all the vest
Russell-Bridget and Jasper
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Blimey, what a to-do. Hope you are dried out and smiling at the days events. (we are :1945: ) The things we do for dogs, and come unstuck. Hope dignity resumed and Barney in the good books. :love6