Monty

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

sammingtonsmythes

Monty

Post by sammingtonsmythes »

Hello Old Friends
some of you might remember I adopted Sam then Monty from Jan.Sadly we lost Monty yesterday to a rare form of cancer we had been fighting since June.He came through the operation amazingly well but sadly what we thought would be benign wasn't and it was returning.So we took the terribly hard decision to let him go before there was a chance of him suffering. Needless to say Andy and I (Di) are both devastated.Monty was a wonderful gentle boy who was by my side 24/7.The house is so empty without him and for the first time without any dog at all.We will be back Jan to rescue another.This is Monty just a few days before we lost him.As you can see he was still enjoying life but there were signs his breathing was getting heavier and for the first time he didn't eat all his breakfast.Thank you Jan for 7 wonderful years with our boy.He consumed our lives completely and was the centre of attention and priorities all this time.I know you all understand and have been through this yourselves.My heart is so heavy right now and its taking some time to sink in that he has gone too soon.Much love to all of you lovelypeople Diane xx
Hope you can see the photo as I'm a bit rusty
Last edited by sammingtonsmythes on Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sammingtonsmythes

Re: Monty

sammingtonsmythes

sammingtonsmythes

oh blimey!Sorry about the size! :2026:
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

So sorry to hear this news. You must be feeling so raw at this time, it's awful loosing your friend. I remember his antics and the lovely photo of him looking over the wall, bonny lad.
In our thoughts, love from Us 3xxx :love4
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Dear Di & Andrew,

So very sorry to hear this sad news. We all know what a happy life he has had with you.

Thinking of you

Jan xx
sammingtonsmythes

Thank you so much Lynn its so so hard isn't it.We had 4 months to prepare which we haven't experienced before.Its always been so quick but he was in fine form until the weekend so we are grateful for that.Only 8 which is tough to accept.But we wait in line for the right dog to adopt again.Its all I know really.Hope you are keeping well?Just wondering how your dogs are doing?xxx
sammingtonsmythes

janrobinson wrote:Dear Di & Andrew,

So very sorry to hear this sad news. We all know what a happy life he has had with you.

Thinking of you

Jan xx
Jan thank you so much for letting us take Monty home.He was absolutely terrified when we took him into our care and it was wonderful to see the transformation into the confident,funny happy boy we absolutely adored.lots of love Di & Andy xx
Cobi & Ginnie's Mum

Post by Cobi & Ginnie's Mum »

So sorry Di and Andrew to hear this news, :cry3:

Nothing anyone can say will help the loss that you are both feeling, especially so difficult when there is no dog in the home, just emptiness.

Lovely photographs.........I always remember Monty in the snow looking over the wall, a beatiful photograph.

Thinking of you

Lynda, Les and Calli :love4
sammingtonsmythes

Cobi & Ginnie's Mum wrote:So sorry Di and Andrew to hear this news, :cry3:

Nothing anyone can say will help the loss that you are both feeling, especially so difficult when there is no dog in the home, just emptiness.

Lovely photographs.........I always remember Monty in the snow looking over the wall, a beatiful photograph.

Thinking of you

Lynda, Les and Calli :love4
Dear Lynda,Les and Calli
thank you so much for your kind words.Im still in shock to be honest even though we knew it was coming for 4 months.Im so sorry for your loss too.I haven't been on for such a long time and its sad to see you have lost your special pair.
I am quite lost right now I have lost my purpose in life.I know I will recover eventually and everyone loves their goldens just as much but I feel like a part of me has died too.It never bets any easier does it.
all the best to you
Di & Andy xxx
Cobi & Ginnie's Mum

Post by Cobi & Ginnie's Mum »

If I could wave a magic wand to get rid of the grief us humans suffer when losing our beautiful dogs, I would do it in a instant as there are so many members on this website that have had to say goodbye to their beloved goldens this year alone.

No Di, it really doesn't get any easier, it's been 6 years this December since Ginnie was PTS, she had lymphoma, like you we knew we wouldn't have her for very long, with Cobi we were given three months if we didn't go down the chemotherapy route, she lived a good life on her Palladia tablets for an extra five months to what she should have had, still not long enough at 11 years....
I loved Cobi to pieces, like Monty she was my shadow literally, even as I type this I still get tearful about Cobi, the raw grief has faded, but I still think about the goldens we have lost since 1985, Mum's first golden Gemma was just 8, (cancer) no age at all.
Like you Di, no dog in the house is and was for Les and I too unbearable, 50 years I'd spent with a dog, forty with goldens, Les has never known me without a golden. That's what we get up for in a morning, rain and mud, sun or snow, we went 11 weeks without a golden, Calli isn't a rescue, but we have put the same hard work in with her as we did with Ginnie and Cobi and she is a lovely girl.

The number of people we meet out walking who say that they could never have another Golden Retriever because they would compare it to their previous dog........I just don't get it.....every dog is different maybe they have similar looks or traits of their previous dogs, we don't compare dogs, we just reminisce and say......do you remember when Ginnie, Cobi, (Jasmine, Abby, Ceili, Jade or Gemma) did so and so.

Lynda, Les and Calli xxx :love4
RUSSELL lumb
Senior User
Senior User

Post by RUSSELL lumb »

Hi

we are sorry to hear your sad news and we know what you are
going through heartbroken is a word we used when jasper died suddenly, but
you just remember the happy life they had with you and how much love they
gave you and they can never be replaced. But our heart can go out to another
one when the time is right and you will love them and they will you love you
just the same.

Bridget and Russell
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

So very sorry to hear your sad news Dianne. Monty was a beautiful boy, a real pinup. Nothing ever quite prepares you for the loss, but each and every one them has that special place of love and memories in our hearts.

In our thoughts x
sammingtonsmythes

Cobi & Ginnie's Mum wrote:If I could wave a magic wand to get rid of the grief us humans suffer when losing our beautiful dogs, I would do it in a instant as there are so many members on this website that have had to say goodbye to their beloved goldens this year alone.

No Di, it really doesn't get any easier, it's been 6 years this December since Ginnie was PTS, she had lymphoma, like you we knew we wouldn't have her for very long, with Cobi we were given three months if we didn't go down the chemotherapy route, she lived a good life on her Palladia tablets for an extra five months to what she should have had, still not long enough at 11 years....
I loved Cobi to pieces, like Monty she was my shadow literally, even as I type this I still get tearful about Cobi, the raw grief has faded, but I still think about the goldens we have lost since 1985, Mum's first golden Gemma was just 8, (cancer) no age at all.
Like you Di, no dog in the house is and was for Les and I too unbearable, 50 years I'd spent with a dog, forty with goldens, Les has never known me without a golden. That's what we get up for in a morning, rain and mud, sun or snow, we went 11 weeks without a golden, Calli isn't a rescue, but we have put the same hard work in with her as we did with Ginnie and Cobi and she is a lovely girl.

The number of people we meet out walking who say that they could never have another Golden Retriever because they would compare it to their previous dog........I just don't get it.....every dog is different maybe they have similar looks or traits of their previous dogs, we don't compare dogs, we just reminisce and say......do you remember when Ginnie, Cobi, (Jasmine, Abby, Ceili, Jade or Gemma) did so and so.

Lynda, Les and Calli xxx :love4
The pain is intense isn't it.so bewildering as if part of me has died too.Andy has had goldens in his life for 60 years.We just cant imagine life without them.With Andy retiring at Christmas we were looking forward to so many more adventures with our boy.I feel for Andy as I have had Monty with me day and night for 7 years and I know he was looking forward to retirement with Monty.We knew back in june that it wouldn't be long before we lost him.Only 8 and a young 8 at that.He would jump and catch the Frisbee over his shoulder he had springs in his legs.As you say Lynda they are all wonderful in their own way and all very different with their own quirks.We are doing much reminiscing too at the moment.Monty had such a wonderful sense of humour and used to mug Andy as soon as he walked through the door.Triumphantly parading round with his beanie hat or gloves.Every morning after he had shared some toast with andy he would search the house for presents for me.Sometimes it took him ages as he kept finding something better.He would be so proud of his gift to me and then Andy would say to him Look after Mum and would leave us both to fall back to sleep holding paws/hands.He loved it so much and so did I.
We never forget these wonderful memories do we and all these quirks are because we gave them a new start in life.Their way of saying thank you.
I hope it wont be too long before a new adventure starts with a new golden.They become our absolute lives and I feel so useless not having one.Not that I wish being made homeless on any of them of course.I just have so much love to give
sammingtonsmythes

RUSSELL lumb wrote:Hi

we are sorry to hear your sad news and we know what you are
going through heartbroken is a word we used when jasper died suddenly, but
you just remember the happy life they had with you and how much love they
gave you and they can never be replaced. But our heart can go out to another
one when the time is right and you will love them and they will you love you
just the same.

Bridget and Russell
oh Bridget and Russell thank you very much.Im so sorry you lost dear Jasper and
heartbroken is the only way to describe it.But rescuing is a wonderful thing and every
golden is deserving of so much love