Athritis

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Hel_Pen

Re: Athritis

Post by Hel_Pen »

Hi Lynn,

Poor Willow. 4 is really young to have arthritis. Jazz was diagnosed with mild arthritis in her front legs just over 12 months ago, she is 8. She went for hydrotherapy treatment regularly and as well as reducing her weight it cured her problem. She is also able to swim in our local lake and river, which helps. Over the winter she wasn't able to swim and she has recently been back for a few more swimming sessions. Willow looks like a really good swimmer so she should really benefit. Jazz also wears a magnetic collar, as recommended by a friend, though I am not sure what benefit she gets from it, if any. She also has a glucosamine supplement and yumove tablets, which contain green lipped muscle. Personally I would rather avoid medication until the last possible point in time, but every dog and diagnosis is different.

I might be mad but I would get in and swim with Jazz if the pool was a bit bigger!

Love and happy swimming to Willow.

Helen.
Hel_Pen

Post by Hel_Pen »

Hi again!

I forgot to mention that Jazz also has a memory foam bed. It works for them like for us, cushioning the joints and moulding to their shape. I bought hers from a company called Orvis in America, but it was very expensive, though excellent quality. I have seen them advertised on www.animalbargains.com too. I was worried she wouldn't go on it, but she loves it.

:thumbleft

Helen.
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Hope swimming will help Willow.
Sorry to hear about your accident Julie. Hope you are soon back to normal.

I am having trouble with my computor so haven't been able to get onto the site lately or if I have got on then I am blacked out and messages telling me I am corrupt. Don't need them to tell me that :2026:

New one on it's way. So I should be all singing all dancing soon ( NOT) :1960
sammingtonsmythes

Post by sammingtonsmythes »

Good luck with the swimming Lynn.The film is adorable thank you for sharing it with us.
So sorry about your accident Julie i hope you get better soon
all the best Diane,Ellie and Monty
:love4 :love3
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Oh dear Jan, corrupt. Have all sorts of images flashing through my mind. :1951:
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Arthritis

Post by lenny »

I dont believe you are corrupt Jan, Thanks for the tenner though . :1945:
julie

Post by julie »

My Wii tells me that I am unbalanced!

Hope the swimming shows benefits for Willow. Woody's face is a picture, definately one of the most expressive. Think Ruby would be as hesitant as him.
x
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Well, Willow is now showing signs of improvement. At one of the Vets suggestions, I have tried her on Seraquin. There is a loading period of 4-6 weeks, then down gradually to half dosage. So far so good, she is now much better walking and back to playing with a vengance. Last week on holiday, she walked everywhere with us and went to the beach and played and swam, so things on the up. Fingers crossed that this is the start of back to normal for her.
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

That is very heartening news, Lynn. So pleased for you all. It always saddens me to hear of poorly dogs. They can't tell you how they feel, and along with the vet's advice, we have to use a bit of instinct sometimes.
Hope all the poorly doggies are on the mend.
Best wishes to you all - Samsmum (Joyce).
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Great news Lynn, hope Willow has a long happy and healthy life with you Im sure she will. :2035:
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Good News Lynn So pleased something is working. :love5
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Good news Lynne hope Willow goes from strength to strength...
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

So glad that Willow is improving Lynn. It must be a relief to see her active and enjoying life again. :love4