Athritis

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Athritis

Post by lynn wise »

Anyone had experience of Hydro therapy or Bio flow magnetic collars for Athritis in dogs?
Willow's just been diagnosed with early onset Ostio Athritis, and I wondered if you may have used the above methods for therapy. Tomorrow she goes for her first session of Hydro, have been warned to go dressed to get wet!!!! Have also sent for a Bio Flow collar, anything to help her will be tried.
At present she is on Metacam, which she isn't having problems with, but not keen to keep going down that route.
Also, she is climbing the walls not being able to have much exercise, at the Vets insistance. Poor sweetie, not fair to be going through this at only 4 years old. David says he can't understand what she's done to deserve this. ( doting Dad)
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Arthritis

Post by lenny »

So sorry to hear about Willow, I hope her treatment works. Not had any experience with arthritis with my dogs, but am sure Willow will get the very best of care, from you and David.Thinking of you all ,Lenny Celia Emily and Snowy. :1999:
hairydog

Re: Athritis

Post by hairydog »

Lynne swimming is one of the best things you can do, so if you have a hydro-therapy pool nearby you then I would try that, with medications for Arthritis there are so many things now on the market it really is best for you to see what suits Willow,has the vet mentioned Cartrophen though by any chance I had this with my last dog and it suited him best, after trying all the usual Metacam etc, which didnt suit him...Have also tried the collars and they did help our Ben...

But personally have found that Synoquin and Green lipped shark muscle has helped Paddy, also tried the Mobile Bones which is Glucosomine etc all in one powder, which is sprinkled on their food ...

Good luck... :1939:
sammingtonsmythes

Post by sammingtonsmythes »

So sorry Lynn poor Willow.4 is very young and i can understand why you don't want to go down the metacam route.I'm afraid i have no experience so can't help you.I really wish i could and hope you can find something that helps dear Willow.The only thing i can think of which you have probably already done is google it to see what is out there .I send you hugs to yourself and David and of course your Lovely goldens.We are thinking of you
best wishes Diane,Andy,Ellie and Monty
xxxx :love4
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Thanks for the messages.

Willow's been limping now for about 5 months, kept going back to see the Vet with her. After the last episode, we thought it was time to investigate further and get X-Rays done. The results were that she is now in the early stages of O.A. Haven't put anything on site as I was so very worried about what might have been wrong with her. Having gone down the same path with firstly Lucy and then Timber. A worrying time, but at least the outcome is better for us and her.
We are so looking forward to taking her swimming tonight, could be a very wet one :1969
Generally speaking, Willow is on top form, driving herself and us potty with her lack of exercise, but must stick to the rules with her for a little while.
A number of people that have stopped to ask where she is have told me about the hydro therapy place that we are going to, all sounds quite good. Watch this space.
superjazz

Post by superjazz »

Hello Lynn, sorry to hear about Willow and her limp.
Candy has a good old limp , but she is an old lady now and has been on Metacam for a good Year . It does not seem to do her any harm and she is still full of enthusiasm when its walk time. The boss big Jazza has been a water dog all his life. All Goldens seem to love water and I am sure Willow will enjoy the hydrotherapy.Can I lend you a wet suit !!!!
Best wishes and hugs to you all.
Pat , Syd, Jazz & Candy
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

Poor Willow, sorry to hear about her arthritis....I bet she will enjoy her hydrotherapy, and be shattered after it........ we thought about it with Ginnie and sorted through a few leaflets from the vet to find our nearest pool, then we came across Onsior, the 'big Gin' has been on these tablets since the end of September with fantastic results..... 40mg to start for ten days then 20mg ever evening, no upset tummy, no side effects as far as we are aware (she has a checkup at vets every 3 months or sooner if she goes for something else), she gets up from her rest much quicker and doesn't seem to have any pain as she still 'batters Cobi into submission', she now seems to know where her back feet are and what they are doing.
We both have bioflow magnet bracelets had them for well over 11 years, (it takes the swelling down in my fingers and wrist, it does warn you to wear it at night to start with, then for a few hours during the day as wearing it immediately can sometimes give 'flu like symptoms) I bought one originally for Ceili, as it comes with an extension piece so a dog can wear it, (they are different now a proper collar) it cetainly helped Ceili.. BUT.. have not really tried it on Ginnie, because Cobi makes a beeline for her collar if she is not winning when being battered and I am afraid that she would try to use it as a tournique to strangle Ginnie... little s*d.

Hubby has used the motor ecoflow version on his vehicle, and previous vehicles.... it fits around the fuel pipe and changes the properties of the fuel, making it burn more efficicently giving more miles to the gallon.... and we know that it works. :1942:
julie

Post by julie »

Hi Lynn,

Honey had a magnetic collar and it did seem to help her; she snook upstairs to MY bed less than 48hrs after having it on - she hadn't made any attempt at the stairs for many months before.

Sorry to hear of Willow's diagnosis but she's lucky to have you and David. Hope all goes well with the hydrotheraphy.

Know what you mean about going potty; i had a car accident last month and Ruby got limited walks - she was like a coil unleashed when she got off the lead.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Hi Julie,

Hope you are O.K. after your car accident. That must have been an awful shock for you. A speedy return to good health. :love6
julie

Post by julie »

Getting there, thankfully no damage to my neck just shoulder and a broken wrist. Plaster comes off in 2 weeks, 0 days and 5 hours ... not that I'm counting down or anything like!

How did the hydrotheraphy go?
Mr Grumpy
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Mr Grumpy »

Willow on her first session of hydrotherapy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAFXOzRoGY8
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Thought you all might like to see the session. Oh, and we did get wet.
Willow was really good after her initial shock. Yvonne that did the therapy said Woody could go in as well. Now that was a shock to him, he's not too keen on the swimming lark. But he could do it, despite what he thinks. Both of them were dried down, then under the dryer, what a revelation that was. Neither of them like the vacuum at home, so the dryer was not appreciated. :2026:
Thought they would both be stiff this morning, but no, lively as always. Going again next week, but I think Woody might prefer not to go. Big Wuss.
Yvonne also gave us a supplement for Willow to have with her food,Joint Aid, has a brilliant write up so will see if that helps. Also the collar arrived this morning, so now using that. Golly, she should be like a bionic dog with all this :2094:
Mind you, I think if it doesn't work on her, I just might try it!!!!
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Arthritis

Post by lenny »

Great to see Willow enjoying her self in the pool eventually. We really hope she benefits from the pool and the supplements, im sure she will be climbing in herself soon if she can. Woody must be like Snowy hes not very brave either. Wondering when you can get in as well and do a few laps. :1963 Please keep us informed of her progress
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

Hello Lynn,
So sorry to hear of Willow's Osteoarthritis, and do hope that the Hydro Therapy provides her with relief and enables her to lead a full life.
Julie, sorry about your accident and hope you are soon back to normal.
Best wishes to all - Samsmum (Joyce).
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

Hi Lynn,

Sorry to hear about Willow. Have just watched David's film. I do hope it helps her, Woody's face is a picture as he follows you around....."what's going on mum?

:bighug: s from us all, and an extra one for Willow xxx