Anal Glands an unpleaseant reality.

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Anal Glands an unpleaseant reality.

Post by janrobinson »

I have been sent this article and as I have nothing else to do on this rainy night I am going to type it all out for you as I think it is in parts amusing and a reality. It was first printed for the American Chesapeake Club by Michael McCarthy M.D.

After a 14 hour day, I slowly trundle up the staircase, right before I ascend the last step, I am hit with an odour that defies sensory perception. I think to myself that chemical warfare is taking place... No, someone has thrown 12 skunks into my living room! My eyes begin to water and my nose begins to burn....it's all over! I'm snapped back to reality only to find my 90lb Chesapeake male " hydroplaning" on his butt across the hardwood floors of the living room. Once again, it is time to express the anal glands.

All humour aside ( although there is very little humour to be found outside of the ritualistic " butt dance/scoot") anal glands are a commonality in all dog breeds, from Dachshunds to St Bernards. Anal sacs are the reservoirs for the secretions of the anal glands which are located on either side of the dog's anus, found at approx four and eight o'clock. This liquid contains a secreted liquid that ranges in colour from a brownish-yellow to a light grey in helalthy dogs. This liquid is usually emptied during normal bowel movements, or when a dog is frightened, scared or marking territory. In most dogs, these sacs empty easily. However, some dogs ( lucky me) are not able to empty the sace properly and become susceptible to anal sac disease.

Sure signs that your dog may be suffering from anal gland/sac impaction are: scooting across the floor or grass, self tail chasing or chewing/licking/biting at the anus. Presumably this is all done to elleviate the dog's discomfort.

Recently there has been much talk on Chesapeake Bay Retriever interactive forums regarding anal gland problems. My personal vet told me this disease does not discriminate. Her belief as to why my dog suffers on a monthly basis is because he is slightly higher in the rear and carries some fat as well as muscle in this area making it difficult to express his anal sacs independently. His stools are "rocksolid firm" but he does not have the ability to completely express his anal glands on his own.

There are three stages to anal gland disease.

1 Anal Gland Impaction This occurs when liquid accumulates and thickens, causing the anal sacs to become distended and difficult to empty. A vet, a groomer or owner can usually relieve this impaction by rectally squeezing the grape-like sacs individually until the aqueous substancs is expressed.

2. Anal Sacculitis or Inflammation of the Anal Sac In this stage the anal sac material continues to accumulate and may become infected with various bacterial forms.

3. Abscess Formation This stage is the most painful to the dog and the most severe as well. An abscess could possibly rupture through the skin, leaving a weeping or oozy red sore that is visible next to the anus.

It is important to note that ALL stages of anal sac disease are treatable by a vet. If your dog is a chronic sufferer there is a surgical removal option, an increasingly routine and popular procedure involving anesthetization of the dog. There are also studies currently being done in which silver nitrate sticks are inserted directly into the anal sacs as a potential form of treatment.

It's important to consult your vet about this disease. A dog can suffer from it and not show any of the typical physical manifestations described. You can ask your vet about this during a normal examination. My vet was more that pleased to teach me the technique of " expression".

Like clockwork, every two months I don my latex gloves....get the jar of lubricating jelly and break out the Milkbones and bring my dog onto the deck to begin the ritual. After four years of this, he has become well adjusted to this uncomforable and embarrassiing routine. When it is done and the discarded materials are safely thrown away in a bio-hazard trash bag, my dog always gives me a look that says " Thanks" Unfortunately, I have not yet mastered returning this form of " thanks"

Responsible dog owners owe it to their dogs to recognize symptoms of a potential problem.

Jan
Last edited by janrobinson on Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

My two look most indignant when they go thrrough this ritual

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

I've jokingly asked our vet if I can have a season ticket as it is a regular occurrence with Ginnie and Cobi, even though they are on JWB complete dog food, and they're not overweight, other Goldens we've owned have had their'anal glands' emptied occasionally but not so consistently as these two, as soon as Ginnie starts biting the inside of her front feet and 'blowing bubbles' through her toes, it's time for a visit to the vets. Jan has offered to show me how to 'empty them', but I declined politely!! :lol:
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Not a nice job but it has to be done! our vet showed me and passed me the rubber gloves and there is a technique have to admit, Lucy is ok, but Paddy puts up a fight so have to take him to the "poffessionals" for that,but it must be an elite club we belong to as when I took him last time the vet said that he has done nothing but empty anal glans all day... :shock:
julie

Post by julie »

When Honey needs this I normally have to take her to the vet about 3 times - usually 2-3 weeks apart and then we're fine for a good long while.

I have just been recommended by a neighbour who's had Labs that switching to dry food, maybe with a little water if they won't eat it, can help reduce the build up and also the whiff!

Anybody else ever heard of a dry diet working / not working?

Honey does also chew her paws - can you tell me how/why paw chewing is connected?

Thanks
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

I can't think that changing to dry food will alter anything unless she is very loose with her diet now. Some dogs just have a tendency to this problem but it is worth a try just to find out whether it will make a difference. All mine have been on the same sort of food yet some have to have their anal glands emptied and some never.

Chewing their feet is perhaps a transferrence of pain or perhaps chewing gives them something to think about and not the pain in their bottom.

not much help really. I am sure someone else will have some ideas.
sammingtonsmythes

Re: Anal Glands an unpleaseant reality.

Post by sammingtonsmythes »

I know this is 3 years too late but Monty has this problem bad.Chemical warfare describes it perfectly never smelt anything like it and i have hardly any sense of smell.Have been twice now to the vets and due again. The vet says its because he has sensitive skin and will be prone to it good job we love him dearly!!!
:2029: :2091:
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

The smell is vile.... bad fishy smell is the way I would describe it... one of our vets calls them a 'design fault' on a dog !!! maybe because dogs are domesticated and they don't need them I'm not sure.... Cobi went through a couple of years of having them emptied every month, now it's every few months, and apparently Ginnie's are very difficult to get at (the vets words) as they are at a strange angle....... always knew our two were 'special'. :1945: One thing is for certain I prefer to be at the front end and not the other when their glands 'get emptied'. :2007:
sammingtonsmythes

Post by sammingtonsmythes »

Me too going to take him next week.Not a pleasant visit to the vets for Monty either bless him.
I'm hoping its not going to put him off the vets completely. :2007:
I just went to the garage to pick up a parcel the postman left for me.Well Monty went berserk i always had a feeling that he might have been locked in the garage at his first home-maybe at night as when we go to lock the back door at night he also goes into a panic.How are your two beautiful babies?
superjazz

Post by superjazz »

I will never forget a "Songs Of Praise" out take. It showed a Welsh tenor in full voice and then a Border Collie came down the grass slope by him sliding on his bottom . !!!

P, S J & C
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Well I gave up going to the vets every month with Paddy and being charged for the privilage, so a vet nurse friend of mine showed me how to do it, and after a few times i have to say I think ive got the knack, on with the rubber gloves, jar of vaseline and hey presto done, I have to do Paddy every month, but at least it keeps him clear so to speak... :)