The Gulps

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

vickic

The Gulps

Post by vickic »

Hiya

I was wondering does anybody else's goldens get what we call 'the gulps', the dog swallows continuously, gets agitated and wants to eat grass. We have had this with three out of six of our girls. One used to get it really badly and it was very distressing - we took her to the vet and they could not find anything wrong with her. Eventually we found if we gave her Rescue Remedy it would calm her down enough to relax and the n gradually the gulps would go away.

Flossie had it last night she woke up and then started swallowing frantically, I gave her a polo mint and talked to her stroking her all the time and gradually it subsided. I wonder if it is like acid reflux in humans. Certainly polos (mint being good for digestion) and rescue remedy seem to help.

Regards

Vicki
superjazz

Re: The Gulps

Post by superjazz »

Hi , we have had something similar with Katie.
Katie is a real scavenger , will try to eat anything.
She starts this gulping and then eats grass , usually to make herself sick and then it all calms down.
Other dog owners have said that if a dog is fed immediately after exercise then this can cause gulping.
Jan gives this advice to new owners of her dogs, do not feed until at least an hour after exercise.
Pat, Syd & Katie
vickic

Re: The Gulps

Post by vickic »

Thank you so much for your reply. Flossie is also a scavenger but only in the garden as when she is on a walk she carries her lead and does not like to drop it for anything! We have noticed an increase in strange animal droppings in the garden so maybe?......, I think they are either pine martin or badger, amazing what you can find pictures of on the web.

We are so careful with what we feed the girls they only have Burns, dry and wet mixed and biscroks for treats during the day. I think maybe in someways we make a rod for our own backs because other peoples dogs who are fed everything, dinner scraps, human biscuits etc etc seem to have cast iron stomachs, whereas ours are very delicate!

Lots of love to Katie, as I said on the thread with the pictures of Katie, we had a Katie who was a very very special girl.

Regards

Vicki