Advice about first season

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

eachsouthgate

Advice about first season

Post by eachsouthgate »

Hi Everyone,

Our 10 month old is experiencing her first season. She is only the second bitch we have owned. She acted rather strange last night and wondered if anyone can advise?

Sadie (our Golden) woke us in the night asking to go out. She went out, had a pee, then walked, sniffed and did it again. This carried on for a good while. Once back inside, she didn't settle and asked to go out again. Lots of sniffing and urinating. She did settle for about three hours and when I got up, she was in and out doing exactly the same as in the night. When back in the house she pee'd on the floor.

I thought, water infection. My husband thinks it may be because she is in season. Sadie is still playing, tail up and eating. She always drinks a lot - water everywhere!
My husband looks after her through the day and says she settled as normal after I left for work. Tonight she has asked to go out more often but hasn't displayed the sniffing and frequent urinating and hasn't done anything in the house.

I have rung the vet and made an appointment for 'early doors', just in case. I have washed out a plastic tub in case I have follow her and collect some dribbles.

I've been reading tonight that females in season can begin to urinate more. So I am just a little worried. Our last dog didn't have anything like this, she just went very quiet when in season.

Has anyone any experience of this, please?

Many thanks, Sadie's Mum
vickic

Re: Advice about first season

Post by vickic »

Best to get it checked out with the vet, I think one of ours, sorry can't remember for sure, got a urinary tract infection around the start of her first season, easily treated.

I never worry about making an appointment with the vet on the slightest concern about the dogs, now for me well different altogether! just returned home from hospital having had a perforated appendix and peritonitis, op took place last Wednesday and last Tuesday I was still saying to husband no I don't want to go and see the doctor!

Hope you now have the answers from the vets - oh the joy of following the dogs around the garden with an empty pot waiting for a squat - wonder if it is any easier getting a sample from a boy?

Good luck,

Vicki
eachsouthgate

Post by eachsouthgate »

It isn't a water infection - thank goodness.

The vet said Sadie could be scent marking. There have been foxes in the garden and next door is like a building site, so the boundary wall is down and we insisted on temporary fencing but plastic covering flaps, the vet says it could also be the 'upset' in her territory, so scent marking again.

So relieved. Couldn't sleep properly and I can't wait for the garden wall to be re-built. I have to watch Sadie every time she goes out (like a hawk) just in case she finds a way through.

As for the pieces of building bricks and debris she keeps finding and eating - it's a nightmare! I sweep, lift pots, check behind slabs and she still finds plaster or brick to munch.

Thank you for your reply, Vicki. This is a new veterinary practice we are using, on recommendation. I don't mind how many times I have to go with her!
sammingtonsmythes

Post by sammingtonsmythes »

Vicki I hope you are better soon.The exact same thing happened to me and I left it until I was in agony.It had burst and gone gangrenous.Quite a shock.I too would not go to the dr but ended up crawling to the phone.It was some years ago but I know what you went though!Get well soon all the best Diane xxx