Fireworks

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Fireworks

Post by lenny »

Just wanted to know how you help your dogs through the trauma of fireworks, as Emily has got older she seems to suffer more, last year she was shaking for days and had the runs. I know you can get stuff from the vets, but not happy to sedate her to much, as fireworks last for several days near us not just November 5th. We stay in as much as we can with her and turn the tv a bit louder, shut all the curtains but she can't find anywhere to hide, we try to keep her calm and not over fuss her. Maybe a trip to the vets is the best thing. :2091:
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Re: Fireworks

Post by janrobinson »

This is a problem. I just wish fireworks were banned. They are neither use nor ornament to anyone. I used to have to sit in the downstairs loo with Emma years ago. She was terrified. Luckily these two are not really bothered.. I am touching wood as I write this 'cos things can change :2026:

I have tried those plug in things to no avail

Scullcap & Valerian from the health food shop could help and sometimes putting their coat on (if they have one) gives them some comfort.

I am sure someone else will come along with further ideas
vickic

Post by vickic »

Hiya

Oh how I sympathise - one of our girls was so frightened we used to book a holiday during the week of the 5th November and take them to a remote cottage in the Cotswolds.

As Jan has said fortunately the two we have now don't seem frightened although we do live in a remote area of France but occasionally there are very large organised displays. You would be more than welcome to come and stay, it is golden retriever heaven here - not so good for the hedgehogs that Dora keeps trying to befriend though!

Try Bachs Rescue Remedy, although you have to give it to them before the fireworks start it doesn't take all the anguish away but it did seem to help our girl.

It is really horrible seeing them suffer so much, John was better dealing with them as he remained calm I would get very upset.

Ban the bl**dy things such a waste of money anyway, all gone up in smoke - when i was a child I loved sparklers and jacket potatoes roasted in the fire - nowadays it seems that everybody has to compete with the loudest fireworks.

Good luck

Regards

Vicki
ceitadh

Post by ceitadh »

I really dreaded around the fifth november leading up to the event for weeks before and after as Katie was terrrified and would try to get behind the telly climb on to our laps even with tv up loud curtains drawn used dap diffuser from vet for weeks before the event to get mazimum benefit but still spent most of the time in the kitchen with her playing with toys to try to keep her mind of it. Needless to say the kitchen floor was soaked with her bowl of water constantly being knocked over she would try to get her head in the cupboard even if you opened the door. A very anxious time for pets and owners and then you have to try to get them to toilet before it all starts kicking off as katie refused to go for a wee even in the quieter spells and then when you think its all over someone sets off a banger!! Just wish they would ban the sale of fireworks altogether!!! Couldn't they just have them without the noise if they must have them at all. Rant over!! :2011:
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

The last couple of years of having Timber were dreadful for him at firework time. We had been out for our evening last wees' when there was an almighty bang, he never recovered from that fright.( it wasn't even on bonfire night) If a plane went overhead with the beacon lights flashing he would be distraught with worry, got to the point where on an evening he was constantly looking up at the sky. Going into the garden at bedtime he would look up into the sky, if a plane went over he would make a dash for the door.
Nothing worked for him, that bang had done it's worst. Fortunately, the last couple of years we haven't been plagued with the rogue fireworks. One set of neighbours close by would let the darned things off at every opportunity, high days, holidays, weddings, christenings, barmitzas, you name it. :2011: I think they must have moved as all quiet here these days.
Sorry to hear about Emily Lenny, you must be as worried as he is. Rescue remedy might help, it does for me!!!
Last edited by lynn wise on Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Thanks for your replies will try t get something for her this weekend, by the way Lynn it's Emily , not snowy, he's so laid back he hardly notices that any things going on luckily . :1960
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Oops, sorry Lenny, have changed it. :1963
superjazz

Post by superjazz »

This web site has a couple of short films which may be of interest when dealing with fire works.
adaptil.co.uk

Pat , Syd & Katie