Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

bentley
Senior User
Senior User

Poorly boy

Post by bentley »

Poor old Bentley has been in the wars.

After waking up and greeting me by vomming all over my new bedroom carpet, (in an attempt to protect the carpet I caught it in my nightie, ew), he continued to vomit all morning. He didn't even look at his food. Definitely not well.

Then the other end started. The use of the word projectile will suffice. No more details needed, I think.
By lunchtime I could see he was getting worse, I saw blood in his vomit so I phoned the vet.

She gave him the usual, anti vomit drug and antibiotic. He got worse and worse. I decided not to go to bed but to sit up with him.

At 1.00 am. I took him to the emergency vet in Preston. They put him on a drip and did blood tests. Poor boy had to be carried on a stretcher into the treatment room, mind you I think that was partly because of the drugs they gave him. :2029: They told me the anti vomiting drug that my vet had given him was a really strong one and if that hadn't worked he was one seriously poorly boy. I could have lost him if I hadn't taken him when I did.

I got home at 4.00 a.m. and had to pick him up at 7.45 to get him to Blackburn for further fluids and X-rays. Two hours sleep for me. :2029:

The vet at Blackburn told me that he has seen a lot of dogs from Darwen recently with symptoms similar to, but not, parvovirus. They treated Bentley as if he had haemorragic (sp) gastroenteritis but think that he may have been poisoned.

He came home last night, very weak and tired but only vomited twice, still not eating.

On a brighter note. This morning he managed a bit of the bland food the vet gave us and managed to keep it down. He's back at the vet's today for more fluids and X-rays and he seems much brighter. Fingers crossed he's over the worst.
vickic

Re: Poorly boy

Post by vickic »

Oh dear, I hope he is on the mend, you must be exhausted. Poor poor Bentley

Lots of get well soon,

love

Vicki Flossie Dora and Rosie
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

poor Bentley he is in the wars. I am sure with your prompt attention he is over the worst. I have heard that there is a lot of this about but didn't realise it was so bad. Big hugs for you all :love4
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Poor poor Bentley, I do hope he is better soon we are all wishing him we'll.they do put you through the mill at times, but they are worth it. :love4 :thumbleft
bentley
Senior User
Senior User

Post by bentley »

Thanks everyone. He's home now. A bit weak, wobbly and very tired but definitely over the worst. That was one of the most terrifying times of my life watching my dog be stretchered into the treatment room. Mind you, I do believe that was partly due to the drugs they gave him, he was definitely away with the fairies for a while!!
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

SO very pleased to hear Bentley is home and on the road to recovery. Love to you all :love4
vickic

Post by vickic »

Thank goodness for that. Have they diagnosed anything was it gastro enteritis or poisoning? One of the golden retriever sites that I sometimes go on had a dog that had eaten, they think, marijuana which she picked up in a country park and she was very very ill for quite a while.

Anyway the good news is that he is on the mend, you just need to have a stiff drink and a lie down!

love

Vicki

PS John always asks me if there are any new pictures of Bentley when he sees that I am on the site!
bentley
Senior User
Senior User

Post by bentley »

I'm certain you'll all be thrilled to hear that Bentley did a poo I could pick up today. :thumbsup: Hahaa enjoy your breakfast!!

They couldn't determine the exact cause of his problem so they treated him with painkillers, anti vomiting tablets and antibiotics as well as keeping him on intravenous fluids for two days, it seems to have done the trick. I could have cried when I saw him instigate playtime with Bob yesterday. Such a relief.

Now I can start filling in the insurance claim forms and try to recover the £1000+ we had to find for the treatment. It's a good job we love him!
superjazz

Post by superjazz »

Just seen this post about poor Bentley, so glad to hear he is on the mend.
What a very bad time you have had with the poor lad.
Best wishes to you all..
Pat , Syd & Katie
rosndog

Post by rosndog »

So glad to hear Bentley's on the mend. It must have been so upsetting and worrying to see him so poorly.

Big licks from Sophie and hugs from me ... :love6:
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Great news, so glad he's back to his old self. :love4
milo's mum

Post by milo's mum »

oh no. i've only just seen this and what a week you've all had. poor Bentley. at least he is on the mend. not good when they're ill is it? the easiest way to tell if he is ok is to take him to a field of mud and if he lays in it....he's fine.
seriously though i'm glad he is ok and at least he's insured.
Linda

Post by Linda »

Just seen this post as we've been away ... poor Bentley :bighug:
Thank goodness he has recovered ... hope you are too, Lesley
bentley
Senior User
Senior User

Post by bentley »

Just a quick update on the boy:

He came home from the vet's on Friday, weak, wobbly and tired - only to be greeted by 50+ people who had turned up from all corners of the country for Bob's 60th birthday party. As much as we'd looked forward to it for weeks - on the day we needed it like we needed a hole in the head. A nice warm bath and an early night would have been much more welcome.

My lovely friend took good care of him, ( Bentley, not Bob ), keeping him nice and quiet while I played hostess. All the guests were told under no circumstances must they give him any food. There was only one part of the evening when he got a bit excited - when I got a good old dousing to raise a bit of money for charity. It was quite distressing how many people were prepared to pay money to throw water at me!

On Monday, after a couple of days to recover, we set off for Devon for a few days rest and relaxation. Just what we all needed. Nothing too exciting as he was still very tired.

How sad that I was so excited when he did a solid poo that I texted the kids to tell them. :thumbsup: Funnily enough they weren't as thrilled as I was. :1960 We'd planned to do a heel work to music competition in Anglesey yesterday but decided that it would be too much for him so we withdrew from the competition and went to the beach for a stroll instead.

Now we are back at home and he's pretty much back to full strength. When he instigated playtime with Bob I nearly wept with joy. There is no doubt that he has got his appetite back, greedy hound. He'll be rolling around in the mud again in no time and I'll be moaning about all the dirty towels again. :love5