Metacam

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Hollys Mum

Metacam

Post by Hollys Mum »

Holly has suddenly grown old over the last few months!! I took her to the vets for her booster and annual check. The heat this summer has definitely not agreed with her and she has been panting a lot. She has lost muscle in the back legs and tires easily so only short walks now. She also has a lump on the neck which she has had for a few years now which seems to be growing but the vet is loathe to do surgery at her age (she will be 12 november) and has more lumps on her side. The vet gave us some metacam to see if that will help her and she has been taking it for 2 weeks now. She runs and gambols (forgets her age) then slows down on the journey home. The vet has given more metacam but advises a blood test to check her liver function now then repeat bloods in 6 months to see if there is any effect on them. I do not know whether to have bloods done, what would anyone in the forum advise. I am so sad but she has a great appetite and I suppose its just the ageing process. She gets lots of love and help to get into higher places. :blue: :blue: Lesley, Steve and Holly
superjazz

Re: Metacam

Post by superjazz »

Candy was on Metacam for at least two Years before we lost her at 14.
Our Vet did not give or recommend any blood tests.
Pat, Syd & Katie
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Hi Lesley Steve & Holly,

The most important issue is quality of life and if it's working and she is free from pain that is the main thing. All drugs have side effects but you have to weigh up the pros and cons. Not much help but may give some food for thought. :love4
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

This is just my opinion, but we have regular blood tests for Paddy, some of the NSAID haven't suited him, but the blood tests have helped us find what suits him best..I think it is a very personal thing and all dogs react differently to different drugs. Paddy also has Cartrophen injections, his Manuka honey, Probotic yoghurt and laser therapy which has helped him enormously, we actually got to the stage of no meds at all then he had his accident and 2 cruciate ops later,so now back to working towards that goal...He will be 12 in December....

Good luck... :)
Hollys Mum

Post by Hollys Mum »

Holly has been taking Metacam for 4 weeks now. She is most definitely happier in herself and although she still struggles with her back legs at times she is much better all round. My neighbour has informed me she gets her metacam from Pet drugs on line at a much reduced cost, you have to get a prescription from the vet which costs £7.80 but you can get 180 mls for £16 which is quite a good buy. Steve has telephoned our vets and they are doing a repeat prescription for 3 months so we shall try it out!! This evening on our walks Holly kept rolling over, all fours in the air, for the kids to rub her tummy, she is so affectionate and loves a fuss. We are hoping to come to the Fun Day, even it we pop in for an hour, going to Formby beach on the way so she can have a swim (good hydrotherapy) which the vet advises is really good for her. Luckily, like most goldens, Holly adores the water - I have only ever seen one golden that did not like to go into water. :thumbsup: :1954: :686: Lesley,Steve and Holly