Holly has diarrhoea!!

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Hollys Mum

Holly has diarrhoea!!

Post by Hollys Mum »

Poor Holly has diarrhoea, at first she started with vomitting but that has settled. Her motions are yellow, watery and she needs frequent cleaning up due to this. Got some kaolin from the vets but this does not seem to have made any difference. Thought motions had settled, Holly was begging for food so gave her some dry food with result that loose stools commenced again meaning I was up in the night every 2 hrs with her. She has had no further loose stool since 8am today and is still on water only. What would you suggest, open to any suggestions please....... Lesley I also have a poorly cat who I am also nursing at present but more arthritis related, good job I am on hols this week :blue: :roll:
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Holly has diarrhoea!!

Post by Ellas mum »

Hi Holly's Mum,

Whenever Ella has an upset tummy or diarrhoea, we always starve her for 24hrs, then for 1 or 2 days after, we give her small amounts of plain boiled rice, it gives the system time to settle down. She has had a couple of episodes over the years where she has had to visit the vet, and he gave her 2 or 3 large tablets that seemed to work, but he also recommended the first method.

Hope this helps, and Holly is better soon :love4
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Cobi's Mum( who can't sign on to the site0-) says she uses Logic Diar... something Pets at Home sell it cheaper than the vets and it works wonders. Although if it is really bad I think a vet needs to see her. Hope it soon gets sorted :love4
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

I use Logic or Prokolin, buy on the internet, much cheaper than Vets, always have some in the first aid kit. Also, starve for 24 hours then give small amounts of plain boiled rice ( as Jean suggests also ) If it does seem that the dog is DEFINATELY ill, vets quick. At this time of year there seems to be so many dogs with the squits, possibly down to the fact they are getting treats which they aren't used to. We went out for tea at friends over the holiday and Willow went down due to turkey and only a small bit at that.
Hope Holly soon recovers, not nice having a poorly tum.
Hollys Mum

Post by Hollys Mum »

Thanks for all your great advice, Holly has had some boiled rice this evening in separate small amounts although she wanted it all at one go!! She has not had any further loose stools since about 13.00hrs so am hoping she is well on the mend! She woofed at me as if to say, "you are starving me mom, can you not see I am hungry" but I said we have to take things slowly so her tummy can settle. Fingers crossed but have preliminarily booked a vet appt for tomorrow if things do not go as planned. :1942:
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

lynn wise wrote: At this time of year there seems to be so many dogs with the squits, possibly down to the fact they are getting treats which they aren't used to. We went out for tea at friends over the holiday and Willow went down due to turkey and only a small bit at that.Hope Holly soon recovers, not nice having a poorly tum.

Yes Lynn, know what you mean. We've learnt lessons over the years. We keep Ella to her plain dried food if possible, but you never know what they pick up when they are on their walks.....you need eyes in the back of your head :2029: :love4
Hollys Mum

Post by Hollys Mum »

:1969 :1942: To bring you up to date Holly has had no further episodes overnight, has had more boiled rice this morning although she looked mournfully at me and my toast!! We have all had an uninterrupted night so had a marvellous nights sleep :hello1:
Have cancelled vets appt for today and will carry on with regimen as planned. Thanks everyone, now have lots of rice in, you never know when you need it!
Lesley xx And Holly of course. :2362:
Holly was fine, she only has her dry food but she does have to sniff everywhere when we go for a walk so think its something she picked up.
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Thank goodness for that. Pleased she is on the mend. :love4
Hollys Mum

Post by Hollys Mum »

Thanks again, Holly has now had a normal bowel action too! She will be looking like boiled rice soon, she appears to like it or is it just filling the gap? When I got the procolin from the vet the vet said it was keeping them busy at the moment with lots of dogs having diarrhoea. Holly has never really suffered with diarrhoea before so I was quite shocked at the time. Thank goodness she is getting back to normal. :1951: :1969
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Great news, so pleased you are back to normal service :1942:
Like jean, we have learned over time, NO treats. It pays in the long run, although I'm sure the dogs don't agree. Any form of meat bits and ours are away with the loo roll. Although the muckment they can find on their travels leaves a lot to the imagination...yuk.