ARTHRITIS

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Paul&Carol
New User
New User

ARTHRITIS

Post by Paul&Carol »

Our dog Bonnie has had another check up at our vets a week ago as she is struggling with arthritis.She was also falling and couldn't control her bladder although that is occasionally and not every day. She started with not wanting to walk far on her daily walks about 18 months or so ago. We have had Yu-move, Metacam and painkillers. At present she has Metacam once in the morning and now tablets called Gaberpentin 3 times a day;this one prescribed a week ago. Bonnie is 14 today and she doesn't go on walks any more. Our vet has said she has no muscle mass in her back right leg, and that if they did an operation on her leg that she might not come round due to her age from the anesthetic. We didn't want to put her through this so we continue to have her checked out and have to keep giving her tablets to ease her pain. It is so sad to see her like this, Apart from her pain she is ok, still manages to go in the garden a bit, to do her business. Bonnie still enjoys her food. She has started having the odd accident in the house and likes us to be around more, it is so hard to think she is suffering. We do try to make life as comfortable as possible but I sometimes wonder if this is the best thing for her. Does anyone else have to give their dog Gaberpentin? Our vet said to see how she goes on the new tablets. We thought that she was very weak but the vet checked her out, her heart and lungs etc and said they are alright, he was very understanding as he knows that although we want to help her, we don't want her to be suffering. I am really worried about what to do. I'm sure others must have had this problem and wondered what is best.
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Re: ARTHRITIS

Post by janrobinson »

Hello Paul & Carol
I am pleased you have managed to get back on the site. It is an awful dilemma you are in at the moment and you are doing everything possible to make Bonnie's life happy and comfortable. You will know when it is time to say goodbye. Not easy I know but you will know.. Love to you and Bonnie xx
Paul&Carol
New User
New User

Re: ARTHRITIS

Post by Paul&Carol »

Hello Jan
Thank you for your reply. I really hope your'e right about knowing when it's the right time for Bonnie.
She never makes a fuss, such a gentle, quiet dog. She has given us so much love. We were so lucky to find her, still remember the day we came to yours very clearly and you agreed to let her come to us.