A new friend for 'Sadie'

Got a question about your dog? Ask it here - members will share their experiences and try to help you

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

eachsouthgate

A new friend for 'Sadie'

Post by eachsouthgate »

Hello Everyone,
I have been feeling really guilty over the last few weeks... I have said 'yes' to helping a young couple who are going to live in Australia... I have said that I will take their 6 yr old Golden and see if she will live with our family.
She arrived nearly two weeks ago and I have slept downstairs until last night because she was still listening for her previous owners. She is loving and obedient, has accepted the cat (the cat has accepted her I should say) and she has begun playing with our golden girl who is two years old.
I felt guilty because my husband was not too keen on having another dog, he wasn't keen on taking on the cat either at the time but she helped him to come to terms with the passing of our last Golden - the cat filled the empty space and took his mind off the missing member of our family. So the cat stayed. (She was a stray.)
I just couldn't say 'no' - the couple wanted her to go to a loving home, like theirs or they would have her put to sleep.
I have considered all the costs - and have even cancelled my private dentist subscription to make sure we can insure her too. We don't go abroad and take our dog with us on holiday.
We have a large garden and love walking. I always said I would wait until I retire before considering another dog. I am still at work, for the moment and it is my husband that is at home all day.
Am I really selfish? We always looked after my parent's dog at the same time as ours and have looked after lots of friend's pooches to help out for various reasons.
Have I been reckless?
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Re: A new friend for 'Sadie'

Post by lenny »

Maybe you and your husband should have agreed to have the mew dog first, has he not accepted the new dog yet. A happy home means a happy dog. I do hope for your sake and the dog he can find a settled home, to be messed about at what must be a stressfull time for him. For me it's keep the dog and both love him or contact a rescue place who will try to rehomie him in a loving home . A talk with hubby is a must.
eachsouthgate

Post by eachsouthgate »

Thank you for your reply.

I did ask my husband in the first instance - he said it was up to me. We both talked about the life with two dogs. He is a very lovely person and really has put up with my love of animals over the years. He loves Golden Retrievers because of their loving nature. (We were once/ have been Westie and terrier families.)

Yes, he has accepted our new friend. She is a beautiful girl. She has settled very well with everyone of us, human and pets alike.
We haven't had a very good year, all in all, for lots of reasons which means I worry a lot.

I was worried that our own dog would not accept her, then there was the cat. I was also worried about two bitches together. I didn't want to create more stress... but both dogs are playing together and there is much love and cuddling by all of us.
I hope I have reassured you that I/ we would not be unfair and unsettle a dog by taking it in and not being sincere in giving it a good home.
eachsouthgate

Post by eachsouthgate »

A Postscript:
We all adore our new girl. She has settled so well, she is faithful, loving and simply gorgeous.
The only 'downside' that must be tolerated is the cost of the insurance for an 8 year old dog! Needs must!
(One of her favourite places is laying across my husband's feet.)