Dog who will only use our garden as a toilet, or free to run

Got a question about your dog? Ask it here - members will share their experiences and try to help you

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Samsmum

Dog who will only use our garden as a toilet, or free to run

Post by Samsmum »

Hi there fellow members.
I have a problem with our lovely Golden Retriever Rescue Dog. His name is Sam, and we got him last June.
We discovered when we took him out that he will not do anything in the road, on pavements, anywhere, only in his own garden.
We took him caravanning, and walked him miles, but he went twenty-four hours without doing anything.
We put him on a washing line and stood yards away, and left him in the grass, but he would do nothing.
He will only oblige when he is free and in a grassy place, but even then he prefers to wait until he gets home, which is, of course, impossible on holiday.
Has anyone else come across this, and if so, please do you have any advice?
Thank you - Samsmum.[/b]
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Yes Jasmine was like this when she came to us

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

Jasmine was like this when she came to us, in the end and it took a long while we taught her the word 'toilet' and gave her a treat and then she came to associate 'emptying' with that word, it was difficult as we are caravanners.
Jasmine didn't like having to be tied up (which is required on Caravan Club Sites) and would chew through the tether and just sit there with the tether in pieces, almost like a protest, we have always sat outside when our dogs have sat outside and they are in when we are in, most of our caravanning in on 5 van C.L's and the places we use aren't quite so stringent and formal.
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

Hi Coby and Ginnie's Mum,
Thank you for your reply to my problem with Sam; we too are caravanners, but not in caravan club. We usually stay at private sites, but have to look for a quiet field to let Sam loose, sometimes difficult. He will not do anything whilst tethered, on a lead, on a long washing line or anything. He will only perform when running loose.
We are going to try your remedy, and see if we can get Sam to understand that it is not wrong to perform when on a lead.
Many thanks for your help
Best wishes - Samsmum.
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

We had to get our two used to going to spend a penny as it is a long haul upto Scotland, It takes a while but suddenly they get the hang of it, it's a word I've always used with all our dogs.
We are still waiting for Cobi to pass the 'chip' she swallowed when she demolished my Husbands debit card! He had been doing some exercises on the lounge carpet and had left this card loose in his pocket, (instead of putting it back in his wallet) at the time we had four goldens here, so he was getting some attention, obviously Cobi wasn't, so she decided to get some attention by chewing!!
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

Hello Cobi & Ginnie's Mum,
Thanks you so much for your last e-mail. We are trying to do what you did, and hopefully in time may succeed.
So sorry to read that one of your dogs is sick, and do hope there is a speedy recovery.
Best wishes and thanks again.
Samsmum.
Eastonwolfs

Post by Eastonwolfs »

We have a similar problem here but I must say it has got lots better...we have managed to encourage Amber to have a wee when we are away from home (she never does wees or poos on daily walks though...ever!!).

As soon as we're back home she's in her garden.

But I was proud of her recently in Northumberland as she did manage to use the garden/yard of the cottage...

See photos below...first one...

YOU DON'T EXPECT ME TO GE HERE DO YOU? THERE'S NO LAWN!

http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s209 ... G_3991.jpg

and

WHERE THERES A WILL THERES A WAY! :?

http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s209 ... G_3981.jpg
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Postage stamp, comes to mind :D
Lovely pictures, and what expressions :D
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Good pictures, As Lynn says it's all in the expression. They don't need to speak we know what they are thinking.
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

Hello there! Hope you and Amber are well and that she is continuing to improve with our mutual problem.
Enjoyed the pictures and captions, thank you.
We are persevering with Sam, and as we are going away again soon to Wales, with the caravan, we are hoping he might be persuaded to oblige in suitable places. He is not a foodie, so treats do not tend to influence him!! Unusual I know, but true.
If you do hear of any methods to overcome our dogs' problems please let me know.
Many thanks.
Best wishes - Samsmum.
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

Hello Everybody,
I am pleased to say that Sam will now do a pee (if he needs one!) if we can find a couple of yards of grass vacant. We just say "Pee, Sam", and more often than not he will oblige.
However, when it comes to anything else, he has to be off the lead.
He will never do anything on a pavement or road, so I think he must have been trained that way.
Sam is fine and well, and a fine young man now, so I count my blessings
Best wishes to all - Samsmum.
Mr Grumpy
Advanced User
Advanced User

anywhere

Post by Mr Grumpy »

Tmbers moto
Anywhere, any place, anytime

[/img]Image
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Magic :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way Samsmum I am so pleased you have made progress with Sam. See you soon
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

Thank you for a great picture - it really gave us a laugh.
And by the way - I wish! Sam doesn't even cock his leg!!
Best wishes - Samsmum.
Eastonwolfs

Post by Eastonwolfs »

Great picture...we loved it!
:D :D :D :D :D :D