vicious dogs off leads

Got a question about your dog? Ask it here - members will share their experiences and try to help you

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

PaulZ

vicious dogs off leads

Post by PaulZ »

Solo and I have just come back from a lovely walk and were nearly home when we were attacked by a staff x .It went for Solos throat, the owner was slow to react, poor Solo was terrified .He was on his lead lucky he has a thick coat I ve checked him over and it has not broken the skin, it nipped my finger as I tried to separate them.A dog like that should not be off the lead in a public place never even got an apology off the owner think Ill take a hefty stick with me next time :x :x anyone got any better ideas
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

I think that is a good idea. We have to protect our dogs. I agree that dog should have been on the lead but sadly some people don't care what their dogs do. Hope Solo or you have no after effects from the shock of it.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Ooo dont get me on this issue! we were walking by the canal a couple of weeks ago when I saw a staffy with a lady both of ours were on the lead we usually let them off past a certain point so they can have a free run but this time we kept them on, next thing the staffy was going for Lucy, the woman came up saying she wont bite. "No said I she wont get the chance she will be in the canal!" she took her off, I told her in no uncertain terms that a dog like that should be on a lead, she just walked off..it makes me so mad.. there is also a staffy on our caravan park and the parents let the children take the staffy for a walk round the park off lead...they seem to think they can do what they want. I am sure some maybe ok, but sorry I dont take the chance...
Rant over now.... :)
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Last winter, I had taken our 2 for their evening walk. As I came back along the top of our road there was a young lad with a Staffie on an extendy lead( how I hate them things) I crossed the road out of the way, too late.It flew at our 2, got in between them both and let rip, I let both leads go, and ours got to the heck out of it. The young lad was mortified, I was shaking, as were the dogs. Why oh why let a child take out a dog that is known to be awkward on an extendy, with no control. (The owners knew how bad she was).
I do have an answer to this, but I daren't put it into print. It's a saying I heard from a Lab' friend years ago, and yes, I have said it on occassions to some idiots.
Having said all this, I haven't seen it around for sometime, so it may have gone.
Hope you and Solo have got over the encounter Paul, it really shakes you up.
superjazz

vicious dogs off leads

Post by superjazz »

Not all Staffs are bad, we had one in the village which used to be pushed around by his companion whippet'
Jazz had nasty experience with a lab cross which was known to be aggressive, it turned around when passing us on a narrow path in the woods and even though it was on a lead it managed to snap, luckily he has a thick coat and only lost a bit of fluff.
The unfortuate outcome is that any lab cross of black and white colour is seen as a potential threat and he is a bit wary.We used to meet two elderly labs with white patches on their chests and he could not be persuaded that the two elderly brothers, both very peaceable, were not the same dog and its brother and he would grummble when he saw them.
The experience is very distressing for dog and owner and I hope you have both recovered.
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

I agree that not all aggressive dogs are Staffies. I know some lovely friendly ones. It is the deed not the breed.