Cod Liver Oil

Got a question about your dog? Ask it here - members will share their experiences and try to help you

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

julie

Cod Liver Oil

Post by julie »

Honey has been more creaky and clickety when getting up in the morning over the last few months. We did get her a new magnet collar (we lost the last one somehow) at the fun day and that has helped her - she's not as clicky now. Once she has been up, she's fine and does not seem to be pained by joint movement (she can still lead the way on walks).

So I wondered if she would benefit from cod liver oil, does anybody give it to their oldies or youngies? Is it OK to give the capsules? What dosage is best?

She does have tins of tomatoey sardines etc every so often which she loves. I have tried her with joint vitamin tablets (the ones John once recommended on the forum but I cant remember the name) but unless I hide it well its left in the bowl and the ped. chum joint sticks which she hates.

Would appreciate your advice.

Julie
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Re: Cod Liver Oil

Post by janrobinson »

I am not sure that Cod Liver Oil is right . I did read once that it can affect their liver or kidneys not sure which. Glucosamine may be better. But if the magnetic collar is working why bother with anything else. Just a thought
oscar12

Post by oscar12 »

hello...
I have given our old lady glucosamine [without the chondroitin which is hard to get anyway as it is considered to be not sourced ethically], and to her food I add rosehip powder from our local health food store. It is bitter so mixing with food is more palatable and was recommended by our vet as she knows rosehip is recommended for humans. It was not cheap however a bag lasts for ages as there are many teaspoons worth in it and I still have half a bag left after about 6 months.
It seems to have helped so it is worth you considering it I think.
Good luck,
Danielle.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

I was told that human Cod liver oil can be too rich for dogs, my Paddy is on Synoquin, and Green lipped shark muscle this helps him lots of folk though only start to give their dogs supplements when they see them getting stiff by which time mostly it is too late so give it to them when they are younger and it is in their system..

There are so many things on the markets now it can be very confusing so always best to try what your dog likes and stick to it...try these websites below and it may and also cheaper than vets...

http://www.medicines4yourpet.com/

http://www.maxavita.com/products/pet/pe ... ugodOWvoXg

HTH... :)
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

Ginnie has been on Petvits, flex-a-joints from http://www.zipvit.co.uk for several years now.... three capsules a day (in her breakfast) each capsule provides glucosamine sulphate 400mg and chrondroitin sulphate 50mg and methylsulfonylmethane 50mg (which is an anti inflamatory) the chrondroitin is marine sourced and not bovine as some are. I think the last time I bought some they were £11.99p just checked their website and they are now £13.99 for 360 capsules.... and this is the lovely photograph of a greying 'golden' taking a nap off their website.......Image
Cobi and Ginnie also have a 500mg omega 3 once a day, we are fortuneate to be able to call at their premises and receive 10% off, we buy all our 'vits' for us from there.
John

Post by John »

You need to be careful of Cod Liver Oil. It's possible for both dogs and humans to overdose on it. A better choice is Fish Body Oil. But a little oily fish is good. All my dogs have had Pilchards in Tomato Sauce for Sunday lunch for years.

Regards, John
superjazz

Post by superjazz »

Our two love Pilchards in Tomato Sauce for lunch as well. They also like Sardines in oil.
Once by mistake we got a tin of Pilchards in Brine , they were not keen on them.

P, S , J & C
carol08

Post by carol08 »

I know that you can give Aloe Vera Gel to dogs to drink. Thre is a company called 'Forever Living Products' and they do four different drink gels and they are excellent for dogs. My friend has two rough collies dogs and one of them had a bit of arthritis and it improved when it had Aloe Vera Juice in its diet.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

May sound a little strange, but ours get pilchards in tomato too. WE SHARE. I love them on toast with lots of pepper and made into a sandwich. The dogs get theirs mashed into their dinner. Don't know who enjoys them most. When the dogs have finished, the dinner dishes get chased all around the kitchen floor, with Willow standing guard, a "don't you dare take it off me" look. So, hopefully we have all had our Omega 3 !!!! :1968
Retriever470

Post by Retriever470 »

For the last year, we put pilchards in tomato sauce in Raffles's dinner, too. Avid does not adequately describe the waiting process he had to endure whilst I mixed them in with his Burns fish and brown rice. We shop monthly, so the month that Paul had the "tinned" list and bought them in brine was a long one! In fact, there are 16 large tins in the pantry downstairs as I type this! I am sure the next golden will be finishing them off.
When he had his skin problems, someone suggested Evening Primrose Oil, but that upset his stomach, so after 4 days, we gave them up. Then we tried glucosamine but it didn't do much, I realise now that is because we gave them to him far too late along the arthritis line. Will bear in mind what you say about starting it early.
Todd&Olliesfamily

Post by Todd&Olliesfamily »

Todd had a little CLO for years in his weetabix, the vet didn't seem duly unworried when we mentioned it. (We got the little capsules and put a hole in them, then squirted a little oil over his cereal.)

He lasted 14 years, so maybe it didn't do him much harm?

The vet was unconvinced about glucosamine and thought a asprin would be more beneficial but I'd worry about his tummy so he had a joint stick as a treat before his walk each morning