Hello from Great Harwood.

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Foammanmark

Hello from Great Harwood.

Post by Foammanmark »

Hi all, I'm Mark from Great Harwood.

Sadly, I lost my 9 year old male on Thursday night, due to being on the verge of chronic heart failure. Came so sudden, and it's left me totally shell-shocked. Had Zak from 8 weeks old, from a lady near Todmorden called Christine(sorry, can't remember any more), and my dog's Dad was Jo-Jo, who I believe was a rescued dog that came through here.

I have other dogs including a female Golden of 7 years called Heidi, but my kids, wife, other dogs and most of all me, are missing him massively. Especially bad when I'm in the house on my own, which was when Zak kept me company and never left my side.

Too early yet, but I think the only way to get through my loss is to focus on another male Golden, but I don't know if to go for a puppy, or consider a rescued dog. We are set up for Goldens, from the hoovers, scratched walls/doors, to the car that we have, and know exactly what they entail.

Hoping being on here may help me come to terms with my loss, as I know other people will have been through the same recently.
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Hello from Great Harwood.

Post by lenny »

So sorry to hear of your loss, a lot of us on here know what you are going through. I lost my first golden six and a half years ago Sunny was from Jan at the rescue and as you say my house and life was suddenly half empty, still had the wife. A month later we contacted Jan Emily soon filled my heart again then soon after came Snowy so my life and my dyson soon owerflowed. It is your choice to do what you think best, a chat to Jan our wise leader is a must she will make sure if a rescue dog is fit for you and just as inportant if you are fit for the dog. Ido hope in time you get another golden to share your life, Jans number is on the homepage.
bentley
Senior User
Senior User

Post by bentley »

Hi Mark,

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. My heart goes out to you.

As Lenny says, when you're ready get in touch with Jan, she is a marvel at finding exactly the right home for the dogs she helps. She is absolutely the best person to talk to at this very sad time for you.
Foammanmark

Post by Foammanmark »

Thanks for the messages, and as each day passes, I feel a little better. My kids have just given me a nice framed picture of Zak for Father's Day, so that initially upset me, but it's appreciated.

I'm not rushing into anything, but I am a 'spur of the moment' sort of person, and will no doubt one day decide to get another dog. For now I have Heidi and friends to look after anyway.