BRING BACK ANY MEMORIES ?

Share your funnies and have a laugh - Remember, there may be young eyes watching so keep it clean

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

superjazz

Re: BRING BACK ANY MEMORIES ?

Post by superjazz »

What me Jan , one who has Saint Jazz the Perfect as his mentor. You are awfull but I like you !!!

P, S, J & C
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

I know it was silly of me to even think it of you ???? :1960
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

I remember going down into the underground air raid shelters, during the war, and the teacher had a large glass bottle of Barley Sugar Sweets. Sadly, no matter how long the raid went on, we only got one sweet!!
I taught myself to play the mouth organ, and used to take it to school especially for the air raids. I used to play the tunes of the day - Run Rabbit Run etc., and everybody used to sing. Many's the time there was a loud banging on the door. When it was opened, another teacher would be there saying "Are you lot staying there all day? The all clear went half an hour ago". We made so much noise singing, we never heard it.
Do you remember those little bottles of full-cream milk we used to have at break time in school?
Monday mornings at home, in the school holidays, were great.
Mum used to load all the bedding into a brick built boiler in the corner of the kitchen, and then she made bread!! Loaves and oven bottoms! Boy, did they smell good.
Yes, I remember nearly all the things you good people mention, so I suppose I must be getting old, but I am still on two legs, so all's well!!
Samsmum.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Yes Joyce, the milk and the dreaded cod liver oil capsules :2007: All mine ended up in the ink wells. Can't stand the smell of the stuff to this day.
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

Oh Lynn,
I didn't have the cod liver oil capsules - my mother insisted on a spoonful of Cod Liver Oil and Malt - it was awful!
I also remember having to wear a liberty bodice - I thought it was a liberty for my mother to insist on me wearing it!
I also remember - "Have you been?" followed by a dose of castor oil!!
Nitty Nora used to examine our scalps, and the school doctor used to come round with his stethoscope.
School dentist with the drill and no anaesthetic! Cold steel I think they called it.
Didn't we have some things inflicted on us? It is a wonder we survived all the indignities and medicines. Still, we are still here, so something must have been right!!
Joyce.
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

I just loved those liberty bodices. What I wouldn't have given for one of those these last few weeks. They were so comfy cosy and comforting. Fleecy lined before flleeces were ever thought of. I don't think children these days even wear a vest. Mind you there was no central heating just the one fire to keep everything warm. They don't know they are born these young ones. I sound like my grandad now. :2005: :cold: :cold2:
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

When we look back to what we had compared with what people have today, we were a tough lot, weren't we.
My Mum had an old black grate, which had to be blackleaded every week, and it had an oven with a shelf. When it was really bitterly cold, she used to wrap the shelf in newspaper, and put it in my bed to warm it before I got in!
Mum made delicious stews from next to nothing, especially in the war, and I have to say, you can't beat a jolly good stew in this cold weather. Nouveau Cuisine doesn't have a place at our house!!
Best wishes to all - Samsmum (Joyce).
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Chewing the cud with David the other week, bringing back memories of being children. Whilst we were walking in the snow, I asked him if he remembered those awful chapped legs we got wearing wellies. Gosh, it brought the pain back!!!!! and our clothes when they got wet they seemed to take forever to dry out. Thank the Lord for fleece and man made fibre. A quick turn in the washer, hanging up, and they are ready to go again.
On reflection, you can keep the Good old Days. :1945: