ARTHRITIS

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Hel_Pen

ARTHRITIS

Post by Hel_Pen »

Hello all.

Jazz has recently been diagnosed with mild arthritis in her front elbows. She has been prescribed anti-inflammatory medication and the vet has mentioned either injections or supplements, but no decision has been made as to which yet. I also remember once talking to a chap who had bought his dog a magnetic collar, which he said cured his dogs symptoms. Can anyone give me any advice on the best course of treatment, supplements, injections, collar and where to purchase from?

Also do any of you have an orthopaedic or memory foam bed for your dog? I have noticed a lot of your dogs sleep on your furniture, but Jazz is not allowed to. They are quite expensive so I was wondering if they were worth the investment.

Thanks in anticipation.

Helen.
superjazz

Re: ARTHRITIS

Post by superjazz »

Both Candy and Jazz are twelve or just about and are a bit creaky. Candy has been on Metacam for a few months and has done well on it. Jazz is not as yet on any medication but both of them have glaucosamine and regular lunches of sardines or pilchards in tomato. sauce (the sauce is very important!)
They had new beds last autumn, we bought foam, recommended for seat cushions, about four inches thick and quite firm and made covers. Jazz loves his and sleeps more soundly than before. Candy still prefers to sleep on the rug with her back against the sofa.

our Vet recommended the glaucosamine and medication.

P, S, J & C
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

Ginnie is on glucosamine and chrondroitin, omega 3, and her James Wellbeloved senior light also has G and C in it. I bought 2 of the magnetic 'ecoflow' collars many years ago for myself and Ceili, I found them to be good, there is an extention part especially for a dog made out of elastic the same at the strap on the collar...... can't use it Gin.... when Cobi and Ginnie are playing there are no holds barred.... they like to swing each other round by anything they can grab, so no collars in the house.... which reminds me .... we had only had Cobi a few months and we were travelling up the motorway to Scotland.... caravan on the back.... and all of a sudden a heard a 'twang... and then a ping'... the little madam had only chewed through the luggage net, covering something.... it's a wonder she didn't lose any teeth doing it... :1960
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Yesterday, David met one of our doggy friends on the moor...Harvey- Yellow lab'.
For a while now, Harvey's been suffering with aches and pains and on treatment from the vet. It worked only up to a point, but medication changed recently to something called P.L.T. Don't know anything about this but what a difference in him. It's worked brilliantly on him, a whole new life for the lad. The change in medication as given him and his mum and dad a change of gear.
What works for one may not work for another, but it's just something else to try.
Hel_Pen

Post by Hel_Pen »

Thank you for all your comments.

I have bought a magnetic collar and Jazz now has a regular weekly fix of Pilchards. Due to go back to the vet in just under two weeks, so we will see how she goes. The poor girl has cut her pad on one of her front paws now too, so is limping even more. Poor soul.