Catch up time

As we all have dogs and may want to take them with us... have you any suggestions for holdiay destinations etc that are dog friendly and where you had a great time?

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Catch up time

Post by lynn wise »

Have just been down to Cornwall again. Had a lovely holiday despite the weather not being so good. A red letter day on friday, our last day. We went to Timmys river on the moor most days, which the dogs love. But friday, Woody went racing into the water at full speed full of the joys, ( he only does 2 speeds, stop and gallop ) For the first time, he SWAM, ooh we were jumping with joy. It's taken a year for him to finally get his feet off the bottom.
Proud or what? Clever boy.

One thing that was so upsetting whilst we were away, was the number of people that came up and asked if they could say "hello" to the dogs, only to say they had recently lost their Golden. We told them all that they were both from Jans rescue, which they found hard to believe. Hopefully they might consider a rescue themselves further along the line. If we make people aware that these wonderful dogs need forever homes we've planted the seed of thought. Hope so.

We also had catch up with people we see every year, and their dogs of course. We always meet a lovely couple on the beach walk in Padstow, with their 2 elderly girls. Always have a lovely chat with them and trawl over the past years events.

Even the shop keepers come out to say "hello" they remember the dogs from previous visits. Wouldn't swap that feeling of pride for the world.
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Re: Catch up time

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

Glad you had a good holiday despite the weather, I didn't think Cobi was going to swim... thought she was going to be a paddler, she eventually did on my birthday in 2005 3 months after we collected her from Jan. Mum's first retreiver Gemma didn't 'do' swimming, up to the tum and that was it, bit like one of Ian and Carolyn's dogs if I remember correctly from a posting.

I agree with you Lynn, the number of people who can't belive that our goldens are from rescue, and we too have passed on the details of NWGRR, to people who are genuine besotted golden lovers....who think that they want to go down the 'rescue' route, we both have NWGRR 'advert stickers' in the back of our cars, I sometimes wish it also said, 'no time wasters please'. :1958:
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

'no time wasters please'. :1958:

Good one Lynda :thumbleft What a great idea.
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Emily loves to swim and does so at every chance she gets, Snowy is a bit unsure when the water gets to deep and as yet hasent plucked up the courage to take the final step. Im sure one day he will just take a step to far then it will be sink or swim. :2007: :1944:
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

:2035: Hi Lynn,
Sounds like everyone enjoyed their hols'. Lovely that woody had his first swim. Ella wouldn't go near any open water for years. I can remember feeling scared stiff the first time we watched her walk into deep water, then SWIM.......now we can't keep her out!! :1960
You are right about people stopping to talk about their Goldens, and the ones they have loved and lost.Yesterday we were up in the Lakes' (again) and were being stopped all the time......some very near to tears.....me, a lump in my throat. We spoke to one lady who ran a National Trust cabin. Her 9yr old Golden was sat on a big cushion just outside the open door. He got up to greet Ella.The lady told us that she was thinking of getting him a companion and would consider looking into Rescue having met Ella. Hope she does :1942:
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Pleased you have all had nice holidays with your Goldens. Thank you for planting the seeds for people to consider a Rescue. :love4
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Here is a short film clip of Woodys first swim. It was in the river on Bodmin Moor, a wonderful place. Delphys Bridge, near St. Breward.

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc30 ... rt0001.mp4
sammingtonsmythes

Post by sammingtonsmythes »

Lynn thats fabulous thank you.Two very happy and very lucky Goldens.Your heart must burst with pride :love4
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Well done woody no hesatation, the water looked lovely and clear, glad you all had a good time. :1963
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

That is a super place for them isn't it. I was proud of them both so I am sure you are Lynn. :1972
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

Know just how you felt Lynn :2818: X
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Well, this morning we have been to the river with the dogs. Woodys swimming definately wasn't a one off. He chased the sticks we threw in, and just swam and swam. Ooh, it was so lovely to see him enjoying himself like Willow in the water. Guess now, another string to his expanding bow, will probably not keep him out now. Those sea legs have taken some time to emerge. :thumbsup:

A proud mum and dad.xxxx
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Probably have webbed paws soon, or maybe a sponsord channel swim on the cards.Well done Woody. :thumbsup:
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

Didn't Woody look pleased with himself as he reached shore.
Well done, Woody!
The first time we took Sam to the seaside, we let him off the lead on the beach and he shot off like greased lightening, straight into the sea, and he was loth to come out.
Every time we go now, he gets so excited as we near the beach and can't wait to get into the water.
He has also dashed into the river about half a mile from where we lived. It seems quite safe, and is not very deep at that point, but he was covered in slime and all manner of evil when he came out, so we make sure he doesn't go in there now. When he has been in the sea, we know he is going to shake himself very vigorously, and we stand there with a big bath sheet, but somehow he still manages to drench us!!
Our previous Golden, Meg, not a rescue dog, was just the opposite of Sam - she wouldn't even get her toes wet.
As the waves came in, she deftly sidestepped them, but one day when we were on Anglesey, David rolled his trouser legs up, put her lead on and walked her into the sea until her feet didn't touch the bottom, and then took the lead off - she paddled back to shore O.K., but then had a sulk! After that, we just let her dodge the waves!!
We are off to North Wales, this next weekend, armed with several old bath sheets ready for Sam getting some swimming practice, and knowing full well, we are going to get very wet!! We are taking the caravan, and he just loves caravanning!! He sits in the porch awning, no lead on, and watches people and other dogs go past, but never tries to go after them.
Just hope the warm weather holds out for us, or we could be getting a double wetting!!
Best wishes to all
Samsmum.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Have a super holiday Joyce. Hope Sam enjoys his swimming.

That little clip of film, believe me, I was soaked to the skin. Willow is really good, SHAKE Willow, and she promptly obliges. Woody on the other hand, runs straight back to me, "arent I a clever boy", and drenches me. Maybe that's going to be the next word to learn. SHAKE. Before I develop web feet.!!!