A frightening experience.

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Samsmum

A frightening experience.

Post by Samsmum »

Hello friends!
What is this world coming to?
I went to Manchester this afternoon to a show at the Opera House - all friends working so went alone.
Came out at about 5-15 and walked along Deansgate looking for a bus stop for the little MetroShuttle, but didn't see one, so walked the length nearly of Deansgate to St. Ann Street, cut through there into St. Ann's Square, intending to get the little bus outside M & S.
I could hear a lot of noise, bangs and crashes, and ahead of me, past M&S I could see a big moving mass so I turned into the little street outside M&S and as I was hurrying to the bus stop, I was suddenly surrounded by, and being moved along by a mass of hoodies!. A lady was coming towards me so I said "go back there is a riot".
I decided not to hang around, and managed to push my way through the hoodies to the far side of the street, and turned to see where they were heading. They were making for the Market St. Precinct (where they set fire to the Miss Selfridge store, having broken many windows and caused havoc along the way.) So I headed down Cross Street, through Albert Square, where the Town Hall is, along Mount Street, and round the Library to St. Peter's Square. There I managed to board a Metro Tram to Piccadilly Station. As we passed Piccadilly Gardens,
there were loads of the hoodies with police trying to contain them. I was lucky - the buses and the Metro Trams were soon stopped!! So it was a good job I am pretty agile and able to walk fast despite my advancing years!!
Was I glad to get home!!
Can anyone please tell me what is going on, and why we can apparently no longer go out safely into our cities?
I was a bit shaken when I got home, but a cup of tea soon made me feel better, but I wouldn't like to be confronted by that lot again!!
Best wishes to you all - Samsmum (Joyce).
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Re: A frightening experience.

Post by lynn wise »

So sorry to hear that you were caught up in the troubles Joyce. Like you, I have been wondering what on earth is happening to this country. Any excuse to cause mayhem. I have my own take on this, but won't air them in writing!!
I feel so sorry for the Emergency Service people having to deal with these ferals. The poor business people too, also the innocent bystanders that get caught up in it all, as you did. High time this country listened to the public opinion on such matters, stop pussy footing with the louts.
superjazz

Post by superjazz »

Hello Joyce, hope you,have recovered from your frightening experience.
These are just mindless thugs with no political axe to grind. They are not protesters as some of the Press would have you believe they are out for looting and seem to pay little regard for the consequences of their actions, or any punishment they may receive.
P, S J & C
sammingtonsmythes

Post by sammingtonsmythes »

Oh Joyce i am so sorry you had such a frightening experience.Watched it all unfold on Sky news was very worried for friends daughters who have a flat in the Northern Quarter was ready for a phone call to go and fetch them.Take care
love Diane x
:2005:
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Hi Joyce,
That must have been so very scary. I would have just froze to the spot. So pleased you got out of the way quick enough, but still very very frightening.

I know what I would do with the lot of them but as Lynn says it can not be in print. I just hope that this Country is going to be tough enough though I can't see it as all the ferals ( as Lynn calls them and I think that is a good word for them) will have their human rights. though not all the people they have robbed from. We will have to wait and see. :2005: :2011:
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

Hi there!
Since watching the news on T.V. and reading the papers, I have realised just how lucky I was. Another few seconds and I would have had the full force of the mob, and could have been knocked down and trampled.
A lot of people were knocked to the ground, and mugged, so thank goodness the survival instinct took over and I just pushed my way through to the other side of the road, before the denser section of the mob got to me. What happened to the poor souls in the bus shelter I do not know, but they must have been petrified.
I really think that the government is shutting the doors after the horse has bolted. Having water cannons ready at 24 hours notice is not quick enough to stop it before it gets a hold, and the police should have stronger powers.
I would be terrified if my husband was a policeman and he had to face, as Lynn said, hundreds of ferals.
When you read the papers and see that teaching assistants, charity works and others of that ilk have been charged for looting, violence etc., it makes you wonder what goes on in peoples' minds.
Very very strong measures are going to be needed to stop this culture from developing into being accepted as the norm.
I am still shaking a bit when I think what happened, but I count my lucky stars!!!
Keep well and keep safe.
Bless you all - Sa,s,u, (Joyce)
ceitadh

Post by ceitadh »

Hi Joyce, Hope you have recovered from your terrible ordeal. You must have been terrified.
Like others I would best to stay quiet about what to do with these people.
Glad you are safe,feel for those people who are having to experience it.

Audrey,Gordon and Louise.
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

Hello there!
Thank you all for your responses - we have been away this weekend to Rhos-on-Sea, with the caravan, and I feel much better now.
The weather was warm but cloudy and a bit drizzly now and again. Fortunately, the heavy showers came during the night, so we didn't get wet, but we had some good long walks with Sam, and he swam in the sea, and thoroughly enjoyed himself.
So it's back to work now till the next trip, hopefully in about three weeks.
Best wishes to you all - Samsmum (Joyce).
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Sorry to hear of your frightening experience, and glad to hear you are now feeling better, wasn't it David cameron who once said we should hug a hoodie, not quite what I would do with them. :2009: