new to the site hello all

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

teddy bear

new to the site hello all

Post by teddy bear »

i would like to say hello to all.
new to the site as i only rescued a retriever about 7 weeks ago and ive had nothing but trouble with him, not his fault hes a big boy weighing in at 34kg, his name is ted and hes 8 months old, as ive said ive had him about 7 weeks since then we have spent most of our time at the vets 6 weeks ago he had a legiament opp. and 10 days ago he had his other leg done. hope you all will accept us on the site we are from the midlands :wink:
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Welcome to this site, but we are all golden lovers on here and know how much work they can be at times and some days drive us daft, :) but in the end they give us so much love back I know for one I couldnt live without them in my life.
labres1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by labres1 »

Hi teddy bear -

It probably doesnt feel like it right now but given a little time for things to settle down and you'll think its the best thing you have ever done.

An example of this is shown in a message on the lab rescue site received this week... http://www.homealabrador.net/anonnymous.php

Anyway - welcome to the site - feel free to ask questions or even just get the odd frustration off your chest with people who know exactly what you are going through!
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Hello Teddy Bear, Welcome to our site and we don't mind if you are from the Midlands

It is very strange for such a young dog to need one ligament op never mind two. He must be very active and dashing about. How ever are you managing to keep him quiet and doing the right amount of the right exercise when he has had both done as it usually takes 3 months to get them back to proper fitness and not limping.

Nevertheless it will come right and you will have lots of pleasure from him as obviously his temperament is right and that is the main thing. Did you get him from a Retriever Rescue or from an animal home. Not that it matters I was just curious.

Jan
teddy bear

Post by teddy bear »

thanks for the welcome, i had him from a friend as she bought him from a breeder and hes kc reg. her husband got took ill and is in hospital(still is to date) and she just didnt have time for him, after speaking to the vet he thinks its from the breeding as hes such a large dog at the age of 4 and a half months he was 33kg. hes had both legaments take out and had a replacement put i. its hard to keep him quite at the moment as i have a 15 week old labx (i puppy walk for the blind) hes back swimming on wednesday so lets see a new year in and hope it all goes well for him as hes such a great dog with us and the kids
ill have to try and put a photo on if i can find how to do it
thanks again :lol: :lol:
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Hello to Teddy Bear.. in the Midlands

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

Hope all goes well with the steady recovery after the 'op'.
Ginnies's cruciate ligament 'went' in her right leg when she was about 2ish, she was chasing around after Abby. Abby was a tiny but beautiful (aren't they all) Golden who could turn on a sixpence, and one day Ginnie didn't! poor Gin let out such a scream and her back leg was just hanging.. As Jan says it is a slow recovery, we did everything our vet advised and almost 7 years later Ginnie still enjoys a good run, batters Cobi daily, lots of swimming, and she doesn't have a limp, she is a tall dog for a bitch, her weight is usually 29k and she is extremely strong for a female Golden.
teddy bear

Post by teddy bear »

nice to hear that story just hope ted goes on well, hes such a great dog just got to get him out in the big wide world as hes not done much yet for a pup. :)
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

I expect your vets have told you that when he is ready to start walking again to walk very slowly on the lead so that he has to put his weight on each of his legs and not carry one. If you walk fast he will tend to carry one. Short walks two ot three times a day. As I said before it will take at least 3 months but maybe longer with having two done. Then you can be out and about having fun and perhaps we will get to meet him at the Fun day in September.

The worst thing he can do is run around with the puppy. That will be the hardest job for you.
teddy bear

Post by teddy bear »

yer the vets have said 10 mins a day on the lead, hes swimming twice a week for 3mins a rest 2 mins a rest then a final 3mins this is done at the vets. yes its hard to keep them all quite
any advice is a great help as ive never had this problem before, and never had a golden before :lol:
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

So, pleased your vet is giving you all the right advice and help you would be surprised at how many do not and the results are very sad but you are on the right track.
teddy bear

Post by teddy bear »

i just hope we are on the right track, i just hope hes not doing to much with the pup ive started to keep him in a bit more