Lumps and bumps....

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Lumps and bumps....

Post by Ellas mum »

Yesterday, while stroking Ella, my husband found a small lump about the size of a pea on her side. My stomach turned over as we'd been there before with Leigh. We rang the Vet and saw him first thing this morning. He does'nt seem to think it's anything " sinister ", but we should keep an eye on it. He said she could have banged herself which is possible as she has a very lively friend staying over at the moment, who i'll tell you about shortly :D
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Reply to Ella's Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

Yes Ginnie has a couple of 'fatty lumps'. My Ceili had one from the age of 4 and the vet at the time said get a pebble the same size and keep it and each week check the lump and then see if it is bigger than the pebble , Ceili never had anything done about the lump and she was almost 14 when she died. We found a nasty lump on Abigail tummy, and as Abby was epileptic we were concerned about her having an anesthetic, the vet removed the lump, a couple of teats and we had her spayed at the same time, the lump was sent for analysis there was nothing untoward found. Jasmine was the same a couple of lumps, teats removed and spayed at the same time. Ginnie was spayed when we collected her from Jan and we had Cobi 'done' 3 months after her first season.
The one thing I notice after our goldens have been spayed is that that gain a beautiful almost 'lion' type ruff down the throat and back of the neck and lovely curls down their back.
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Reply to cobi and ginnies mum

Post by Ellas mum »

Our Leigh had mammary tumours twice, they were very aggressive.Our vet always recommends that a bitch be spayed after the first season. He maintains it prevents a lot of mammary tumours. And yes you are right , Ella has that same "ruff and curls" when she has her full coat, makes her look a lot bigger :)
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

My Lucy has been spayed but no ruff round her neck?she has got the same wave on her back as Paddy...but nothing else... :oops:
superjazz

Re: Lumps and bumps....

Post by superjazz »

We have had Candy with us for about 18 months now. She came to us as a 10 year old. When we got her from Jan she had a couple of lumps on her shoulder and neck , and also a growth on her eye lid.
The Vet said that because of her age we should leave them and just keep an eye on them.
Earlier this Year the small lump went. She was then attacked by another dog which bit her on the remaining lump.The lump decreased after the wound healed, but it then came back as before.
In May she had problems with her back legs so she was put on Metacam. This has done wonders for her back legs.
Now the large lump has almost gone and the growth on her eyelid is visibly shrinking.
Is this the Metacam or just a coincidence ?

Pat, Syd , Jazz & Candy
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Re: Lumps and bumps....

Post by janrobinson »

Sometimes these lumps are sebaceous cysts so if one was squeezed as in bitten then it would empty. May have been that. I would be very surprised if Metacam got rid of lumps but it is a painkiller and I think anti inflammatory so if there was inflammation in the lump it may have help get rid of it.

Jan