TICKS........

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

TICKS........

Post by Ellas mum »

Whilst grooming Ella this afternoon, found a lump behind her ear. On closer inspection it appeared to be moving :shock: I thought 'tick'.

Now, having never seen one before, let alone dealt with one, I thought HELP!!, so came on the site and found Kathryn's post and read all the info and decided to ring our vet to ask if they had any Tick removers/tweezers, they had.

The Vet said "bring her down, I'll show you how to do it". What a lovely man :D Normally we use (Advantage) once a month on Ella for fleas,so for the summer months he's changed it to (Advantix)." Should do the trick" he said, we'll see.

I'm sat here now reading all about Ticks. Didn't know there were so many different kinds, horrible creatures :twisted:

Jean
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Hi Jean,
Poor you, aren't they horrid little things.I bought one of those little tick things from the Vets a couple of years ago, haven't needed to use it, but it's going on holiday with us this time. Our previous dogs, all managed to pick one up in the Lakes, so aren't taking chances.
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

Hi Lynn,

Yes, I think you do need to take it with you. Our Vet said the Lakes are one of the worst places for ticks, whilst round here we don't get many.

Wonder why?

Maybe Ella's was an 'off cumed un' :lol: :lol:
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Yep them little bighters are about again Lucy had one on her neck at the weekend and she had been frontlined, but have just found out from a friend she is now giving her dogs powdered garlic in their food, the ticks dont like it when they bite the dog and fall off, well that will do for me I thought so am now off to the health shop tomorrow...

PS, Yes Ellas mum is right the Lakes is one of the worst area in the country this is where Lucy picked hers up, so watch out... :)
RUSSELL

Post by RUSSELL »

Hi

just read article on ticks our vet advised us on previous goldies to just
dab with surgical spirits with a cotton bud they just dry up and drop off please to see Jasper is not the only dog to pick them up - two so far this
season.

Russell
gordons mum and dad
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by gordons mum and dad »

Oh don't mention the dreaded word "tick". We quite regularly go up to Meathop in S Lakes, and Gordon suffers dreadfully from them. We can come back from a walk and find three or four crawling on him. Don't always manage to get them off, in fact just had to remove one from under his arm this morning. With Gordon they tend to go for round his muzzle, I think they look for soft areas. I hate the things, but Bob is really good at getting rid of them. Tend to dab the area with Tea Tree Oil after the tick has gone. Gordon is now getting quite patient with us when Bob has to remove one. May give the garlic powder a go, if Gordon will take it. Just got him onto Glucoasmine tablets for his joints, seems to be helping.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Well both of mine got ticks on them the other week, so have now gone back to the good old tick&flee collars £4.99 each,and yes they both smell like rotting cabbages...but...it seems to have done the trick no ticks now for the last few weeks and we have been up in the Lakes wandering in long grass....maybe the old ways are the best after all?? :)
gordons mum and dad
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by gordons mum and dad »

Just a quick question to hairydog please - do the tick collars not affect the skin and fur around the neck?
I was also thinking before after I had posted my comment about Gordon, I suppose he deserves all he gets, as when out walking he never has his nose out of the bushes by the roadside!!
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

On our recent trip to the Lakes, I used Frontline on the dogs the week before we went. Not a Tick in sight. All our previous dogs managed to acquire them up there, so it must have worked. Also, the Goldens that we met up there had been GOT. So I guess we were very lucky.
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

I am not so sure about flea collars as I have seen some awful allergies caused by them and for them to work properly you are supposed to leave them on all the time of the life of the collar. Don't know how long that is maybe a few months then get another one. I think a garlic tablet is better but that is my opinion.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

At the moment we havent had any problems, have been keeping an eye out for any irritiation, it does say on the instructions to look for skin irritaiton if you see it take them off asap, but nothing so far, you have to leave them on for 4 months but nothing else,they were due to be Frontlined again so thought I would give these a go,in truth didnt want to keep putting chemicals into them.
Think I will also try the garlic,so natural, and what did we use before Frontline etc???
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Have got some garlic capsules, do you think they would work the same?
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

I dont see why not Lynne, but was told the garlic powder was better but garlic is garlic isnt it....? :)
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Just something to add on to the garlic use. I'm sure that I've heard (probably in my past life of showing) that garlic is also a natural wormer. Anyone got any info' on that?
RUSSELL

TICKS

Post by RUSSELL »

Hi All

can i ask a stupid question we have been to lakes last week end lots of
ticks on jasper. How often should we use frontline on jasper and does it stop ticks. We are a bit of novice regarding ticks jasper has had more ticks than our other two dogs.

thanks

Russell