An interview with 'our leader' Mrs R

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Eastonwolfs

An interview with 'our leader' Mrs R

Post by Eastonwolfs »

This site fascinates me for a number of reasons, but I have always wanted to ask Jan loads of things about 'how it all started'...

So if you don't mind Jan, here are some questions from me...I'm sure other members may have their own as well...

1. How did you come to rescue goldens?

2. Do you know how many you have re-homed over the years?

3. How many have you had at home in any one time?

4. Have you ever come across a golden that couldn't be re-homed?

:) :) :)
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

It all started in the mid to late 70's when I started showing Goldens. In the early 80's I was a founder member and committee member of the North West Golden Retriever Club and then in 1983 I became Secretary. At that time I realised that there was a need for Rescue and it started then I just did it. It was part of the Club for a few years although I did it on my own then but it was spli from the Club after a while as if someone decided to sue the Rescue the Club could have lost it's money. Then in 1999 I retired from the Club and just do the Rescue now. I haven't shown Goldens or judged them since the early 90's

2. I have rehomed over 6 thousand Goldens

3 Well I don't keep them at my home as you know but I did have eight at one time. I was a lot younger then. Couldn't do it now.And of course I had John to help me then.

4 Sadly there have been a few that couldn't be rehomed because of their temperament. These decisions are not lightly taken and it takes weeks of trying before I realise I have to make a decision for the dogs sake. These decisions are really hard to make. But do we keep a dog in kennels for the rest of it's life. Do we keep trying it with different people to try to find the right one. Neither of these is a solution. Thankfully there are not many like that.

I must also add that I absolutely love doing this job. I love taking in the Goldens that need me and I love finding the right home for each one.

Jan
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

Jan,

Because of your care, dedication and hard work, these wonderful Goldens find a new and better life, a "forever home".

The satisfaction and rewards must be so great.

We would'nt have our beautiful Ella but for you and the Rescue. Thank you.

Jean
Eastonwolfs

Post by Eastonwolfs »

6,000 DOGS REHOMED...what an achievement that is...that is truly amazing...if I devoted the rest of my life to charity I couldnt achieve so much I'm sure...

I did wonder if some dogs couldn't be rehomed due to temperament...but goldens don't seem to have a bad bone in their bodies...I suppose its what the adults did to them...

I have another question now...

Can you remember all their names :lol: :lol: :lol:
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

How do you nominate Jan for a CBE or OBE . there canot be a more deserving case, she is a gem. This is not a wind up ,I think everyone who contributes to this site would agree arise, DAME JAN.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Have known Jan from those early days, but never realised the extent of the rescue work. Agree with Lenny, Dame Jan as a good ring to it. The work Jan does for Goldens is truly wonderful, and without her knowledge and goodness of heart, where would they all be? Surely a true champion of our breed. I salute you Dear Jan.
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Very nice thoughts everyone but don't do anything silly. I love what I do and when a dog is happily settled that is thanks enough for me.

In answer to the question can I remember all the names I have to say no but if given a date when a dog was rehomed if in 1983 or 2001 I can find his notes and tell you all about him. It is all in files on paper. None of it on the computor. So think how much paperwork I have stored here.
RUSSELL

Post by RUSSELL »

HI

The mind boggles at the number of dogs jan has made happy but also
the number of families she has made happy and i would like to say
a big thank you on everybody's behalf and a big woof from our Jasper

Russell
glenys

Post by glenys »

I want to chip in here and say that I have been friends with Jan for many years I dont have goldens though I do love them and have judged the breed at shows.
Jan and I became friends through rescue many years ago I am In Labrador Rescue some people dont see the side that I see of Jan but I can tell you if you could put a value on freindship she would be priceless.
Jan helped me get my own rescue off the ground after I resigned from the comittee of The NW Labrador Club where I was rescue coordinator I didnt know which way to turn as I could not envisage a life without helpng my beloved breed,Jan gave me the confidence and helped me to set up a fund inititially with a small loan and then when my rescue hit hard times she bailed me out again,It took me ages to repay the debt but she never once mentioned it and it never affected our friendship.
I can tell you that she is 100% dedicated to her rescue and dogs in general many is the time we have helped dogs on death row,little mongies and cross breeds together to save their lives .
So you could say without her I may not have had the courage to start the rescue and many Labradors would have not have had the homes they have now.

So heres to Jan a very special Lady and true friend xxx
julie

Post by julie »

Hi Glenys,

I think you and Jan are both fantastic for all you do; it was you who brought me to Jan.

Some friends have had labs all their lives and when they sadly lost one of their girls, they came to you. Your rescue gave them such a great girl and positive experience of breed rescue that when I mentioned I would love a goldie they recommended looking for a goldie resuce.

A quick google seach and a chat with Jan swiftly followed. Honey came home only a few weeks later and I still can't believe my luck in Jan matching her to me.
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

We were given Jan's name by some caravanning friends

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

Almost 10 years to the date, we were caravanning in Scotland and a lovely lady was doing a sponsored walk in aid of Jan's rescue and we sponsored her, she had 3 goldens, all were rescue and two of them from Jan, we met up again the year later and the four of us became friends. 2 years later when I lost my eldest golden I contacted my friend and then spoke to Jan, 3 months later we collected a timid little girl who we called Ginnie, that was nearly 8 years ago. My friend used to joke about her being Ginnie's 'god-dog mother' and calls her Ginniebear. Over many years our friends have had several dogs from Jan, and we have spent countless evenings, having a meal and partaking of a wee dram whilst all the dogs are running around in the awning.
Sadly and quite shockingly I received a call a month ago saying that her husband had suddenly passed away, her wish was for no flowers but donations to Jan's rescue, because of their great love for rescue goldens.

It really is a marvellous thing that Jan does, to give goldens another chance to be given a good life. Which sometimes creates another friendship between humans.
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

I have been to my son's for a few days and come back to all these lovely posts. You will have to stop all these nice comments as I have had another little weep. Thank you all anyway.

See you on Saturday.
John

Post by John »

You are both heros in my book. :)

Regards, John
CarolynM
Senior User
Senior User

Post by CarolynM »

I don't know how Glenys and Jan do it. Its not a Monday-Friday 9 - 5 job that they can walk away from.

You both have our deepest admiration and thanks. Looking at our 4 rescue dogs - I dread to think where they would be without Jan and Glenys as they were all older and slightly tatty around the edges when we got them.

Carolyn
glenys

Post by glenys »

Honey's Mum wrote:Hi Glenys,

I think you and Jan are both fantastic for all you do; it was you who brought me to Jan.

Some friends have had labs all their lives and when they sadly lost one of their girls, they came to you. Your rescue gave them such a great girl and positive experience of breed rescue that when I mentioned I would love a goldie they recommended looking for a goldie resuce.

A quick google seach and a chat with Jan swiftly followed. Honey came home only a few weeks later and I still can't believe my luck in Jan matching her to me.

Thank you glad we were able to help your friends and you found Jan,if you are at Jans fun day I will be one of the galley slaves in the kitchen :)