Candy's Coat

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

superjazz

Candy's Coat

Post by superjazz »

Hello Jan and all Goldie lovers,
You probably remember Candy and her very long coat especially at her rear end. She had obviously been a bit neglected when between homes.
Slowly her coat is showing signs of impovement, however her coat is very fine and knots easily. I wonder if anyone has any experience of using Mars stripping combs and if they are any good.
Or does anyone have any recommendations or advice on any other suitable de knotting tools.
We do not have any problem with Jazz's coat as his just becomes curly.
Grateful for any advice.
Pat, Syd, Jazz, Candy
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Hi Pat Syd Jazz & Candy

I have no idea what a Mars comb is so can't help you there. I am sure someone will know.

Have you tried one of those that look like a chunky rake. I find them a pretty useful tool for an unruly coat, but if it is too knotty then just cut them off. No point struggling.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Our Willow's got a knotty coat. Under her(excuse expression) arms.
I use a wire hound glove to go over them first, it does relax the hair a little, then a rake. With the cotters, if I can't make any impression on them, it's in with the fine grooming scissors. Under the fur, against the
skin, cut deep into it, outwards.That way makes sure there are no accidental cuts. Usually, one cut is enough to loosen the knot, then tease out with fingers. All this on top of daily grooming, don't know why she gets them, must be doing something wrong :lol: Her coat is quite lengthy and fine, it also grows out at right angles, should have called her Harpic :D
superjazz

Re Candy

Post by superjazz »

lynn wise wrote:Our Willow's got a knotty coat. Under her(excuse expression) arms.
I use a wire hound glove to go over them first, it does relax the hair a little, then a rake. With the cotters, if I can't make any impression on them, it's in with the fine grooming scissors. Under the fur, against the
skin, cut deep into it, outwards.That way makes sure there are no accidental cuts. Usually, one cut is enough to loosen the knot, then tease out with fingers. All this on top of daily grooming, don't know why she gets them, must be doing something wrong :lol: Her coat is quite lengthy and fine, it also grows out at right angles, should have called her Harpic :D
Thanks Lynn.
Another owner told us to have a look at the "Mars Combs " web site.
So we did and I have never seen so many dog grooming aids.
They appear to be a comb with cutters . The number of cutters depends on the type of coat. Just wondered if any one had tried one.
Thanks for your tips anyway.
Pat , Syd , Jazz Candy
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Candy's Coat

Post by lynn wise »

Hi Syd,

Remembered you had put this post on, and thought I'd pass this info' on.

Have just bought a knot buster for Willow, despite being groomed regularly, her feathering under her front legs and pants gets quite knotty. This thing worked brilliantly. You just slide it in under the knot and comb out.

ANCOL---Ergo range Knot Buster. Just over £5.
superjazz

Post by superjazz »

Thanks Lynn, we will have to get one. The poor old girl has been in the wars lately. A flat coat retriever we were passing decided to bite her on the neck. Dont know why because she is such a friendly old thing. Any way after the incident and some time later we saw blood on her fur. She had a lump on her neck when she came to us and it was on this lump the the bite was centered. Anyway she has now recovered and the lump has reduced in size. At least the owner of the flat coat paid for the anti biotics !!
She now is bouncing around mainly due to the fact she is now on Metacam after having problems with her back left leg.
Thanks again for the knot buster advice.

Pat, Syd , Jazz & Candy :2008: :thumbsup:
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Poor old Candy, pleased to hear she is better. Unusual for a Flattie, hope he went without his dinner that day. :2005:
CarolynM
Senior User
Senior User

Post by CarolynM »

Oh poor Candy - it must have been horrible for her especially in her gentle years.

Like Lynn says at least the owner paid for her antibiotics

xx