Wick has been poorly!!

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Wickets mum

Wick has been poorly!!

Post by Wickets mum »

Hey all. Sorry for the essay but I have to tell you what has been going on!!
Wicket came down with (what we know now as) a tummy bug last Thursday and is only back to full working order today! Its been a little stressfull to say the least.
It all started with sickness on Thursday night which carried on into Friday. In past experience starving for 24hrs then a small bowl of pasta has usually done the trick, but when he was still poorly on Friday night, we went to the vets. They gave him an anti sickness jab and gave me a couple of cans of 'science diet'. Well I tried everything over the weekend - rice, pasta, scrambled egg. The poor soul wouldnt touch any of it. You could almost see the energy draining out of him. (to be fair he is such a teddy bear that when ill he probably looked worse than he felt!) On Sunday morning he hoovered a can of science diet (in two sittings) and by lunch time was almost back to his usual self. My greatest fear was that he had eaten something that was stuck, we inspected all of his toys but he is so sneaky and stealth like on the steal, I was really worried. Well the sickness cleared up but he was still not right 'at the other end' so we went back to the vet on Monday. He has a week of anti biotics now but is a different dog. Thank god we have the Wicket warrior back!!
It is a mystery why he came down with this. As I have said, in my experience, 24 hours and these things see their course, I havent known of any dog with a 5 day 'bug'. If anyone else has been through similar I would like to hear from you.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Yes my two have both been caught by this sickness bug which is apparently going round at a fast rate, Paddy started last weds, saw the signs and off to the vet for a jab, then following day got the diarreah, with blood in it, so back off to the vet, temp up and vet examined him and could feel tenderness in stomach so special paste to give him....no food 24 hrs etc, said that last weds they had 30 dogs in with it...

Friday, Lucy started so back to vets, jab etc, and special paste to give which coats the stomach, luckily we caught it just in time for her, and by sunday both were much better..scrambled egg & rice all round...on Friday vet said that they had only had 10 dogs in that morning with it..!
Just changed vets and have to say very impressed,no messing and got the best of treatment and drugs which we had never had before...vet said its the cold weather we have been having it has been harbouring the bugs, we need some sun to kill them off...couldnt agree more...roll on summer.... :)
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Glad to hear Wicket is much better

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

I can remember Jasmine having numerous tubes of that paste that you refer to. Cobi wasn't well sometime last year but it didn't last 5 days, and yes you do really worry about them when they have sickness and diarrhoea (the 'squits') My friend who has two goldens, one now 14 and a half years, has had both her two poorly with something like you describe, they are both ok now, we will collect Megan (who was 3 yesterday) for a walk with our two, Lottie only manages two small walks now! You just don't know what is discarded in and around where you walk the dogs, also the large population of dogs that are walked around the same ground each day, may cause more dogs to be ill. We sometimes hear stories about a particular field where people walk their dogs near to us about parvo virus being present, such a terrible thing to experience, and the smell is so awful, Gemma survived parvo and nine out of her 10 puppies also survived back in 1980.
We are pleased to hear that Wicket is much better.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Pleased to hear that everyones "fore and afts" are better now. It really is awful when they are so poorly with the trots. I always have some boiled rice and minced chicken in the freezer, "just in case".
I think that what Lynda says is so true. At the moment, there is so much rubbish on the paths, and the dark nights seem to bring piles of poo not picked up, it's almost inevitable that germs are about. Also, with the wet conditions, the dogs come home and lick themselves no matter how you try to clean and dry them. Hope the germs go away quickly, and that no more dogs are ill.
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

Ella had something like this about 12 months ago. After 2 days it wasn't clearing up so off to the vet's. He gave her ...Canikur...in tablet form, can also be crushed into a paste. It did the trick. Then like Lynn, plain boiled rice for 24 hours. Again, you never know what they pick up when they're out.

Glad he's well again.
patnpaul
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by patnpaul »

Hello all. Poor Holly has been ill too. She has had kennel cough and it sounds terrible. She too has been on tablets from the vet, and getting them down her is a work of art. We also had to keep her from other dogs while she was still coughing. Hope everyone else is fit and well and all the dogs are better

Cheers

Patnpaul
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

We have just come back from our morning walk on the moor. We met 2 of our usual dog walking ladies and their Labs", both said they had been very concerned over the dogs, and been at the vets for jabs and antibiotic tablets. All 3 had had the bug, and very ill with it. Harvey came very close to going on a drip, he wouldn't even drink, so the vet was really concerned. In a previous post, I thought it was possibly with all the muck that's around, but one of the Vets told the lady it is airborne, so that's not good. Good news is that they are all well again and raring to go. Hope this soon goes away, it's so worrying when they get it.
Trust everyone O.K.
sonia
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sonia »

Oh my goodness me sorry to hear so many dogs have been poorly :( Its so worrying as they can't tell you whats wrong, big cuddles to them all.
Touch wood Brad has been ok, but has been off his food lately not eating nearly as much. I will have to keep an eye on him and hope he will be ok.